• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gender Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dobiegal

I work in Houston, Texas, for a Scottish-based company (see post in "Immigration") and was hired during startup of the facility as a "Program Development Coordinator." My background is in program management for large manufacturing corporations and I left a staff position for this opportunity at the encouragement of one of my customers. Nothing against the Scottish in general, but this group views the Americans as being incapable and lazy, and women are only allowed in clerical positions in the UK. While the company was supposed to be predominantly American (at the customer's request), we're being force-fed more and more of our Scottish counterparts. MRP is an unknown, systems are extremely dated, the company is run on Excel spreadsheets, and we've been unable to get them to listen to our ideas. I was supposed to move into the Program Manager slot after the launch of our initial project, and am more than qualified for the position, but I now hear we're considering filling it with one of the UK males. While they would know more about the company, they definitely have less experience than I do working with high tech companies, managing timelines, and being accountable. Would this be discrimination if I'm passed over?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">