• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gender sex change laws in the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do all these people who have problems with this concept have gender specific bathrooms in their homes?

Beth3

My advice (for what it's worth) - If he is undergoing hormone therapy and has "female" on his driver's license, then I expect he's dressing as a female. If he's in a stall with the door closed, how would anyone have any idea what's kind of plumbing he has? If female employees have complained about sharing the restroom with a man, then I'd tell them to show a little compassion (it can't be fun being born in the wrong body) and just deal with it.

I can understand both sides, however, there is a bathroom in the facility that is for all and just wondering why he wouldn't use that. He is obviously a man, so he wants to be a woman, does using the ladies room really make that true? I feel it starts a whole other issue...so some guy wants to get a cheap thrill, puts a bra on stuffs it and goes into the ladies room, claiming to want to be a woman?? Where do you draw the line? As far as being in the wrong body, I believe God created us all and don't believe God makes mistakes:)

Sockeye

I can understand both sides, however, there is a bathroom in the facility that is for all and just wondering why he wouldn't use that. He is obviously a man, so he wants to be a woman, does using the ladies room really make that true? I feel it starts a whole other issue...so some guy wants to get a cheap thrill, puts a bra on stuffs it and goes into the ladies room, claiming to want to be a woman?? Where do you draw the line? As far as being in the wrong body, I believe God created us all and don't believe God makes mistakes:)
In response to the "some guy wants to get a cheap thrill" statement
1. That is why laws written that have directly addressed the issue have language noting sincerely held gender identity.

2. Is this likely to happen? No. If it does, very simple for management to address to the fullest extent of their Dicsipline Policies.

3. This is the type of answer that Govt. entities have had to step in, because of blind ignorance and prejudices.

As for the "don't believe God makes mistakes statement. Wrong forum, not going there.

Silverplum

Fortunately Seattle has addressed this so offers a simple answer. Whatever the sex the person sincerely identifies with is the bathroom they use.

I've had to address the same issue with a remote Alaska facility and determined it was best to mirror the Corporate policy.
WA is not NJ.

AK is not NJ.

justalayman

from a personal perspective, I agree with just about everything you just said BUT that does not take precedence over any applicable law.

In todays world, yes, I can see some whacko making such a claim just for the thrills. Just how does one prove their claim is real? Perceived sincerity is nothing more than a good sell of what the person wants you to see. How does a person prove sincerity and to whom do they prove it? I do recall reading at some point of the person having to have been diagnosed with GID based on a true gender dysphoria. I do not see that that made it into the law presented so, to me, the legislature kind of wimped out on that point.

As to the unisex restroom: sure, it would be nice if s/he would use it but again, this is a personal desire and not an action able to be legally mandated from what I see. Since one would presume the person involved would tend to have a better understanding of a persons feelings not being respected, maybe s/he would be open to a suggestion that while it is not required, it would help the woman feel better about the situation. Of course the response might be; well, they just need to get used to it. I am a woman and I have the right to...

To me, that is a person with real problems, well beyond the gender issues.

If such a suggestion is made, you would have to be very cautious it is not presented as the company attempting to require or coerce them to do anything.

Sockeye

Is Seattle in New Jersey?
Apologies for not clarifying why I posted. Yes, Seattle did make is simple (and is not in New Jersey) however Alaska did not have a clear direction so it was clarified with company policy.

I also followed up shortly after noting a some people making issue of it when it really wasn't worth the energy, a subject I knew would come up later in the thread.

davew128

Do all these people who have problems with this concept have gender specific bathrooms in their homes?
I'll remember that the next time I am at my sister's house and her daughter and I both need to use the bathroom.

justalayman

I'll remember that the next time I am at my sister's house and her daughter and I both need to use the bathroom.
well, my kids are always up for a good joke.

if they were offended, chances are you would not be walking out of the bathroom, or at least in a normal fashion. They are not offended by the mere view of any anatomy. It is when there is lewd conduct associated with it that they are bothered.

ecmst12

1. This is not a "guy looking for a cheap thrill". This is, LEGALLY, a woman, using the restroom appropriate to her gender identity. She is not "obviously" a man, she is dressing and living as a woman and she is listed as a female on her legal documents. If you were just meeting this person, you would only know her as a woman.

2. Your employer has already made a decision on the matter. They have decided that she can use the ladies room. What YOU now need to do is act like an adult and a professional person and stop thinking about what her genitals look like - it's not like she is showing them to you, or trying to look at anyone else's parts either.

eerelations

As someone else more eloquently put it, laws were written specifically to protect certain types of people from people like you. You don't have to worry about drawing a line, the law has drawn it for you. And if you don't like where the law has placed the line, well...too bad. Guess you'll have to move somewhere else where the lines are more to your liking.

justalayman

1. This is not a "guy looking for a cheap thrill". This is, LEGALLY, a woman, using the restroom appropriate to her gender identity. She is not "obviously" a man, she is dressing and living as a woman and she is listed as a female on her legal documents. If you were just meeting this person, you would only know her as a woman.

there are some real whacko's out there. I wouldn't put it past some of them. Heck, I'm from Smalltown Middle America and I have run across people that might do something like that. While this person is presumably real in their claims, there is actually little to prevent a whacko from engaging in such behavior from what I see

A question to the OP and swalsh:

what if the person didn't have a penis due to it being damaged during a circumcision or cancer or any other reason a man could lose their penis? Is a man not a man because their penis was amputated? What about what another poster asked about: a hermaphrodite. What are they to be considered? Maybe they need to just pee in the closet to avoid all the concerns.

eerelations

Something tells me the OP isn't a manager researching what she's required to do, she's actually an employee disgruntled with her manager's decision to allow the transgendering person to share her washroom. Regarding her comment "there is a bathroom in the facility that is for all and just wondering why he wouldn't use that" - if OP was a manager, she'd know the answer to that.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm thinking OP needs to spend a little more time doing what she's paid to do and less time worrying about her coworker's geniitals. Seriously - ALL women's bathrooms have stalls. With doors that sut & latch. And if she's THAT bothered by using the ladies while he's in there? SHE can go use the generic toilet. :rolleyes:

Don't people have more important things to worry over?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">