• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gender sex change laws in the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Can anyone tell me what NJ's gender change laws are? For example, you have a he wants to be a she, hasn't had the sex change yet, just starting hormone therapy. Still technically a male, proceeds to use the ladies room......I've tried and made calls, but can't find out the exact laws on this.

This was the exact example used in my work place harassment certification course. They said to let HR deal with it. As to what HR would do, I have no idea and I'm glad I'm in management instead.

No one at work seems to want to address the issue and people are complaining that he is using the ladies room. The store manager said he was allowed, but somehow I think he said that to just not have to deal with the situation.

Mass_Shyster

Still technically a male, proceeds to use the ladies room......I've tried and made calls, but can't find out the exact laws on this.
Where is this ladies room? In a private home? In a private club? In a public establishment? In a state licensed establishment? In a publicly funded establishment? In a government building? In a prison?

In the workplace? In public restrooms?

Way too many possible possibilities to research them all (for free).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you are the person in HR who has been charged with determining what the employer is and is not legally required to do/allow, it's none of your business.

swalsh411

I would stay out of it. Being a busybody trying to do HR's job is not a protected class and can get you fired.

Sockeye

Fortunately Seattle has addressed this so offers a simple answer. Whatever the sex the person sincerely identifies with is the bathroom they use.

I've had to address the same issue with a remote Alaska facility and determined it was best to mirror the Corporate policy.

commentator

I worked for many years with a person who changed genders. We met when I walked into a facility rest room and she (now) was standing in a stall, door open, urinating standing up. That instigated a very interesting conversation, which led to a long friendship. You should sort of get over it, you're not being offended or violated by this person using your rest room. In Europe, there are many restrooms that are not designated for one gender or another, and in women's rest rooms, there are sometimes male attendants.

Sockeye

After the Alaska work site decision I did hear some grumbles from some, when asked what it was that they felt threatened by none could come up with any particular reason.

My opinion it simply provided some a subject to complain about attempting to create a problem most didn't have issue with.

The bathroom is in a public bathroom in a store, that I'm sure is licensed to do business if that's what you mean by licensed.

In response to some of the other threads, I am a manager there and people are complaining to me, that they know he is a male (technically) and using the women's rest room. As for me personally, his personal decision is his business, but I have to say it made me uncomfortable when I walked in the other day and he was in there, so I do understand other peoples feelings as well. I just know there has to be a state law, now he has changed his license to "female", if that makes a difference. I'm trying to protect the store from any problems either way and in order to do that I need to know the law, either it's legally ok or it's not.

swalsh411

So this person has a penis? That's a male, at least in terms of what bathroom he should be using. I know of no law which states you cannot tell him he must use the bathroom that goes with his/her genitals.

justalayman

Fortunately Seattle has addressed this so offers a simple answer. Whatever the sex the person sincerely identifies with is the bathroom they use.

I've had to address the same issue with a remote Alaska facility and determined it was best to mirror the Corporate policy.
Is Seattle in New Jersey?

justalayman

So this person has a penis? That's a male, at least in terms of what bathroom he should be using. I know of no law which states you cannot tell him he must use the bathroom that goes with his/her genitals.
You really might want to investigate NJ law on the issue. It would appear they have been leaning towards, if not actually determined by now, the physical equipment is not relevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">