• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General discharge under honorable conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nononsense

I left the military 2 years into my contract. I was 19 at the time. I told them that I was unable to fulfill the duties of being in a submarine even though I passed all the tests. Tests are one thing. But being down there was a whole other story. I addressed my issues with a psychologist, who told me to give it a chance. I told my superiors that I couldn't do it. It was mentally straining thinking I would be in there 60 days before seeing day light again.

I started making threats 24 days in. They kicked me off the boat at the nearest port. I went back to my home base for 2 months and everything was back to normal. After those 2 months, I was asked if I wanted to stay or if I wanted to go home. I chose to go home. My enlistment was over. I was given a general discharge under honorable conditions. In the description of my DD214, it said bad conduct, blah blah blah. Not allowed to re-enlist. You get the gist of it.

It's been 12 years since I left the military. Does that general discharge upgrade? I've done some research a few years back where I can request for an upgrade. And I've also found some information that it automatically upgrades itself. It's been several years since I've touched on the subject again.

Does anyone here know more or can lead me in the right direction?

SHORTY LONG

Presuming that you were in the US Navy, then see the following:

http://www.public.navy.mil/asnmra/corb/NDRB/Pages/Naval%20Discharge%20Review%20Board.aspx

Moreover, there are Veteran Service Officers (VSO) that may assist you free of charge. You have to search your locale Veterans Service Organizations which will direct or suggest where to go. Be advised, these VSO are extremely busy and it is imperative that you keep your appointments!

rangersabata

I left the military 2 years into my contract. I was 19 at the time. I told them that I was unable to fulfill the duties of being in a submarine even though I passed all the tests. Tests are one thing. But being down there was a whole other story. I addressed my issues with a psychologist, who told me to give it a chance. I told my superiors that I couldn't do it. It was mentally straining thinking I would be in there 60 days before seeing day light again.

I started making threats 24 days in. They kicked me off the boat at the nearest port. I went back to my home base for 2 months and everything was back to normal. After those 2 months, I was asked if I wanted to stay or if I wanted to go home. I chose to go home. My enlistment was over. I was given a general discharge under honorable conditions. In the description of my DD214, it said bad conduct, blah blah blah. Not allowed to re-enlist. You get the gist of it.

It's been 12 years since I left the military. Does that general discharge upgrade? I've done some research a few years back where I can request for an upgrade. And I've also found some information that it automatically upgrades itself. It's been several years since I've touched on the subject again.

Does anyone here know more or can lead me in the right direction?
Call the Trial Defense Counsel of your nearest military base. The may not be able to advise you since you're not active duty, but perhaps they can refer you to another source. Alternatively, look up JAG Reserve lawyers near you. They may be able to assist you with this question. I hope you get the answer you're looking for!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">