• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General question about witnesses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HI

Are all the witnesses present for all of the trial?

Reason for asking is that I am thinking of asking a client to testify for my upcoming divorce/relocation trial, to support my claim that relocating will increase my income. But I don't necessarily want them to have to sit through the whole trial and hear the personal stuff that is bound to be flung around.

Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HI

Are all the witnesses present for all of the trial?

Reason for asking is that I am thinking of asking a client to testify for my upcoming divorce/relocation trial, to support my claim that relocating will increase my income. But I don't necessarily want them to have to sit through the whole trial and hear the personal stuff that is bound to be flung around.

Thanks in advance.
Ask for a separation of witnesses. What CLIENT can support your claim that relocating will increase your income? Because that ONE CLIENT will pay you for a limited amount of time a limited amount of money? Is your client going to testify and be certified as an expert? If not then said client will not be able to speculate that your income will increase by moving.

Ronin

I don't necessarily want them to have to sit through the whole trial and hear the personal stuff that is bound to be flung around.
Witnesses are not allowed to sit in on the trial prior to their testimony.

nextwife

FYI, my husband could have earned significantly more by moving to NY or LA. However, that move would have DOWNGRADED our standard of living due to living costs, and quality of life factors. Earning more money in itself doesn't automatically mean a relocatation is beneficial.

LdiJ

FYI, my husband could have earned significantly more by moving to NY or LA. However, that move would have DOWNGRADED our standard of living due to living costs, and quality of life factors. Earning more money in itself doesn't automatically mean a relocatation is beneficial.
Except in this case she is currently living in Hawaii, which has absolutely the highest cost of living of ANY state.

If she could earn more money elsewhere, then her standard of living would absolutely improve.

nextwife

Except in this case she is currently living in Hawaii, which has absolutely the highest cost of living of ANY state.

If she could earn more money elsewhere, then her standard of living would absolutely improve.
Not sure. When you add the cost of her getting the kid or kids back and forth to dad for visitations, which must always be by plane, it may not really end up being much more. Additionally, it depends upon where she is moving as to whether there is enough significant benefit to justify removing a child from their parent.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information about witnesses being separated. That was exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Ohiogal, I am not totally sure that any of my clients could give meaningful testimony as I described it since it would be speculation. But what they could say is that all of their projects are in the other state and it would help if I could be there too, and that they would have more jobs they could give me indefinitely (not just short term) if I were there to be able to meet in person and visit jobsites. I used to offer these services when I lived there, and it helped me be useful to clients on jobs that required extra hand-holding and oversight. I have several letters to that effect from various clients but I understand that those letters won't mean anything at trial without the person being there to say they wrote them-isn't that right? I can't afford to fly all of them out, and I was hoping that one of my clients testifying to the gist of what all the letters say will lend credibility to my stance across the board. What does "is your client going to testify and be certified as an expert?" mean? Are only experts permitted to testify for stuff like this?

I forgot to ask in my original thread if testimony by phone is ever done in custody trials.

LdiJ is right that in Hawaii the cost of living is higher than in the other state. The other state happens to be California which isn't necessarily cheap, but I have grocery ad comparisons (same store) that show Hawaii is at least 20% higher. Gasoline is about a buck a gallon more in Hawaii at the moment. Housing relatively similar, though.

Nextwife, I am considering trying to waive child support for a few years in exchange for his paying transportation costs, which I mentioned in another thread and I know how you don't like people to have multiple threads on relative subjects so I won't go too much into that here. To get the judge to see the logic in this I need to be able to illustrate how Dad funnels plenty of money through his life and therefore must have access to it. Basically I am wanting to show that he is arguing for the kids to stay in Hawaii without wanting to take responsibility for them. But if we actually DID move to California, his mommy would make sure he flew out as often as he wanted to see them. I know this is going way out on a limb, but he is claiming $1100 a month in income and has been floating a $3K a month household for 7 months so far, and racked up $15K in attorney fees. That extra money is available to him on demand is evident to me. Anyone else think this is a good argument or am I asking way too much of a mental leap here?

Basically it's a sad situation where Dad is not wanting to "man up" and I am willing to support the kids myself as he has said I should, but I can't do it here in Hawaii. No industry for me here. I need to be able to show the judge at trial that moving to CA equals higher income, which coupled with living rent free for a while with Dad will make our situation workable. Once our youngest is in school I will either have re-built my business enough to support us on our own or will get a regular in-house job with one of my clients. I have a few that would take me as a full time employee anytime and I suppose that testimony might matter as well.

I've done this one trade for 20 years in California, and trying to do it from Hawaii as I have for 4.5 years has diminished my usefulness to my clients and ultimately my income. Now that I am a single mom with an unsupportive STBX, it is critical that I return and save my livelihood, as it is the only one readily available to support the girls. He has "no skills" (his words in his response) and therefore according to him cannot be expected to contribute. I have this one skill and am willing to work at it but need to go where it counts.

I'm not looking to prove that moving to California in and of itself is better for the kids, but rather that this is what we must do to survive and it just so happens there are side benefits to doing so, such as better schools, extended family, and cultural opportunities not available on our little island. Of course his lawyer is focusing on those side benefits I've mentioned, claiming that I want to move there because it's in my best interest alone and because the kids will be near "fun things like Disneyland", and that I think these things outweigh their relationship with their father. :rolleyes: Not my point at all. If I ever mention Disneyland as an advantage to living somewhere, please shoot me. My stance is that there's nothing insurmountably wrong with Hawaii, and if Dad would get a job (or disclose the money he is actually living off of), maybe we could stay! Otherwise, here's my plan.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information about witnesses being separated. That was exactly what I was hoping to hear.
FYI, in my jurisdiction, the witnesses are kept in rooms adjoining the courtroom, and after my trial was over, they reported that they could hear everything if they stood close to the door. That got kind of boring, so they only listened for about half of the trial.

I forgot to ask in my original thread if testimony by phone is ever done in custody trials.
We did this at my trial. It was called a "telephonic appearance." The other lawyer agreed before the trial to allow it/not object to it.

It's a pretty good guess that in this case this will be objected to by the other lawyer, and will not be allowed.
I thought the same when I read that. At a hearing we had, his lawyer has so far even objected to our "parenting notebook" becoming evidence. Probably because it shows him being flippant and rude. It was denied, but she's going to object to every single little thing she can - I can tell that already.

FYI, in my jurisdiction, the witnesses are kept in rooms adjoining the courtroom, and after my trial was over, they reported that they could hear everything if they stood close to the door. That got kind of boring, so they only listened for about half of the trial.

We did this at my trial. It was called a "telephonic appearance." The other lawyer agreed before the trial to allow it/not object to it.
Wow. Thanks for that info!

So if it's a whole day trial, are they stuck in that room for the whole day???? Mine will be a solid day.

Ronin

I would not count on the witnesses being given the luxury of a room to sit in all day. In my case the witnesses were left pretty much on their own to fend for themselves in the court hallways. Opposing witnesses in a custody case could lead to an uncomfortable situation if they are all in the same room together.

Last edited:
I would not count on the witnesses being given the luxury of a room to sit in all day. In my case the witnesses were left pretty much on their own to fend for themselves in the court hallways. Opposing witnesses in a custody case could lead to an uncomfortable situation if they are all in the same room together.
The makings of the next big reality show, for sure.

Sorry I was unclear - there were two rooms available, and one room was used for my witnesses and the other room for my ex's witnesses. This is a very small jurisdiction/county, so there aren't tons of people around.

The trial was supposed to last 3 hours, but it ran to 3 and half, and the witnesses waited the entire time in the rooms, except when they were testifying. They brought magazines to read while they waited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">