• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General time frame for lawyer to file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadsam

What is the name of your state? Virginia
Original meeting with my lawyer on (Fri) 4/8/05, returned in person on (Mon) 4/11/05 to his office with completed forms and paperwork including full payment of his fees and court/filing fees. On (Fri) 5/6/05, received paperwork back with apprx. 6 questions/info needed (most of info could be found on original paperwork submitted). On (Mon) 5/9/05 returned paperwork to his office. I called this morning 5/16/05 to see if they could give me a filing date and they said they still needed to review my paperwork and it would take apprx. 10 days before they could tell me anything. I realize that legal issues generally take time but banruptcy is generally a time-crunch issue. Is there a general rule for a time frame?
Thank you.

Ladynred

Nope, it all depends on the number of cases the lawyers office is handling. Since the passage of the new BK laws, lawyers have seen a large increase in filings, and are booked solid with new appointments. Although if they have all the stuff they need, 10 days does seem excessive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">