• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia, Repo.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tia11

Hi everyone, hope everyone is having an awesome day! I had a quick question, and I did a very light scan to see if any of the other topics in this forum had similarities, sadly it didn't but I'm crossing my fingers Ill get them!

First off I live in Georgia.
My issue is, we received a repo notice from our bank about my vehicle, my husband had an accident back in October where he fell 20ft at work and hit pavement and I was in the final stages of my pregnancy so money hasn't come in quite the abundance that others might have, regardless of this and with full understanding of our current situation we are just under the pretense of, "we have each other and that's fine." We got the notice awhile back but from my understanding, for some reason, they are not listed as lien holders on my vehicle. Today I got a notice from Credit Karma and went to check it, it said my account with my truck had been closed, I got an email from my bank shortly after so I proceeded to call. The woman informs me, "The account has been charged off, that means you will no longer incur interest fees or late payments."
I just would like to know what my rights and responsibilities are.

LdiJ

Hi everyone, hope everyone is having an awesome day! I had a quick question, and I did a very light scan to see if any of the other topics in this forum had similarities, sadly it didn't but I'm crossing my fingers Ill get them!

First off I live in Georgia.
My issue is, we received a repo notice from our bank about my vehicle, my husband had an accident back in October where he fell 20ft at work and hit pavement and I was in the final stages of my pregnancy so money hasn't come in quite the abundance that others might have, regardless of this and with full understanding of our current situation we are just under the pretense of, "we have each other and that's fine." We got the notice awhile back but from my understanding, for some reason, they are not listed as lien holders on my vehicle. Today I got a notice from Credit Karma and went to check it, it said my account with my truck had been closed, I got an email from my bank shortly after so I proceeded to call. The woman informs me, "The account has been charged off, that means you will no longer incur interest fees or late payments."
I just would like to know what my rights and responsibilities are.
You will get a 1099-C in the mail come tax time next year (or at least you should) and you will have to deal with that on your taxes. Normally the cancelled debt would be considered as income for tax purpose but it sounds like you might qualify for the insolvency exemption. See a tax pro come tax time.

As far as the balance of the loan is concern, its quite possible that even though they have charged it off, that they will sell it to a debt collector, so expect to continue to hear about this debt for some time to come.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">