• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Get X's Tax lean off of your accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



After being divorced in Oct. My X try to get a bank loan and found a tax lean on his accounts here in Alabama.

He has now made an agreement with the IRS to pay the back owed taxes for both of us (about 5 years of tax $14,000)

I found out a little later that I also have a lean on me.
How do I get it off my accounts, he is paying, I did not know about it all until after we were divorced?



tax lien

By law, a tax lien can be withdrawn if: the notice was filed too soon or not according to IRS procedures, you entered into an installment agreement to pay the debt on the notice of lien (unless the agreement provides otherwise), withdrawal will speed collecting the tax, or withdrawal would be in your best interest (as determined by the Taxpayer Advocate) and the best interest of the government.

Therefore, the agreement your husband entered into should clear this up. You should be able to have the lien removed by contacting the IRS official or number listed on the agreement your ex made with the IRS. If that does not work, or if you cannot get the name or number, you can call the IRS at 1 –800 –829 –1040. If you try that and it does not work, call the Taxpayer Advocate at 1-877-777-4778.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential