• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a Certified Death Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

turnerette

What is the name of your state? MN

My boyfriend and I recently purchased a house together. We have life insurance policies on each other in the amount of the current mortgage balance. Since we are not related, how can we obtain a certified copy of the others death certificate, if needed, in order to file for the insurance? It appears that on the forms I've seen (for Hennepin County), there is a category where if you are a person with a tangile interest, you can obtain a certified certificate. Would this category include our situation (living together and buying the home) or if not, how can we have access to the certificates without having the qualified relatives obtain them for us.

Dandy Don

Are you saying that you don't think either one of you would receive the death certificate because of your lack of being officially married?

Even if that turns out to be the case, you could probably get an exception by stating that it was needed for probate purposes--otherwise you could ask another family member to order it or ask the executor of the estate to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">