• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a secured credit card abroad to build credit there?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whenwillthisend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? USA

I want to buy a home in Canada and live there perhaps permanently. Because of this I want to get a Canadian secured credit card to start building my good credit there now, before I apply for a mortgage with one of thier banks. Is this possible? It's unconventional but you have to admit that I'm thinking ahead. I'd appreciate some tips on what to do. Hey, if I can get someone who lives in Canada to let me use their address for my CC application would that work?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? USA

I want to buy a home in Canada and live there perhaps permanently. Because of this I want to get a Canadian secured credit card to start building my good credit there now, before I apply for a mortgage with one of thier banks. Is this possible? It's unconventional but you have to admit that I'm thinking ahead. I'd appreciate some tips on what to do. Hey, if I can get someone who lives in Canada to let me use their address for my CC application would that work?

You would need a Canadian law forum.

You also need to look at what Canada requires in terms of you living there, and you need to forget about using false information.

whenwillthisend

I'd never falsify information in a predatory or malicious way. Simply using someone else's Canadian address so I can make a deposit on a secured Visa or MasterCard isn't negative, it's just so I can build good credit there to impress the bank when I apply for a mortgage. But you're right I guess it is technically false. Anyone else have suggestions?

Proserpina

I'd never falsify information in a predatory or malicious way. Simply using someone else's Canadian address so I can make a deposit on a secured Visa or MasterCard isn't negative, it's just so I can build good credit there to impress the bank when I apply for a mortgage. But you're right I guess it is technically false. Anyone else have suggestions?
Ah. Falsification is okay as long as it's not "predatory" or "malicious". Gotcha.

whenwillthisend

Jeez, you people are crazy. You're acting like this is the worst thing in the world. I just want to build credit in Canada to impress the bank in Canada when I apply for a mortgage in Canada. In case you overlooked it I'm going to get a SECURED credit card which means they aren't even at risk of me "taking their money" and not repaying them. You've flown into a rage at a perfectly innocent question (and enviable foresight I might add) and I don't understand why. smh. I don't even care why but if you're enraged about this you have anger management issues.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Jeez, you people are crazy. You're acting like this is the worst thing in the world. I just want to build credit in Canada to impress the bank in Canada when I apply for a mortgage in Canada. In case you overlooked it I'm going to get a SECURED credit card which means they aren't even at risk of me "taking their money" and not repaying them. You've flown into a rage at a perfectly innocent question (and enviable foresight I might add) and I don't understand why. smh. I don't even care why but if you're enraged about this you have anger management issues.
There is nothing enviable about you.

whenwillthisend

There is nothing enviable about you.
I would end my time in this thread by cursing both of you out but I don't want to get banned. The reason I responded to the first individual is because I didn't want him or her to think poorly of me. I assumed an explanation would help. Clearly it did not.

Now that you are personally attacking me I'm done with this thread. Keep it up if you want, I won't be here to read it. And for the record I'll try using someone else's address with their consent and if it works I'll have a secured credit card in Canada while living on disgusting US soil until I build my score up enough to get a nice rate and lower down payment on a Canadian mortgage.

Also, if it works there's nothing you can do about it. I only hope that if it works others read this and do the same thing all over the world... just to piss you two off.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would end my time in this thread by cursing both of you out but I don't want to get banned. The reason I responded to the first individual is because I didn't want him or her to think poorly of me. I assumed an explanation would help. Clearly it did not.

Now that you are personally attacking me I'm done with this thread. Keep it up if you want, I won't be here to read it. And for the record I'll try using someone else's address with their consent and if it works I'll have a secured credit card in Canada while living on disgusting US soil until I build my score up enough to get a nice rate and lower down payment on a Canadian mortgage.

Also, if it works there's nothing you can do about it. I only hope that if it works others read this and do the same thing all over the world... just to piss you two off.
**************..eh?

Proserpina

This is actually funny. You have absolutely no idea how immigration works, do you?

Heh.

:cool:

justalayman

just so you can realize you do not qualify to immigrate to Canada, here is their page on the matter:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

as they say up north ;

décollage hoser , hein

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">