• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Coverage after policy has lapsed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Connecticut
I am in the process of liquidating my mother-in-laws estate - she is now in a nursing home. Her house is her only asset. It will be going on the market very soon. In cleaning it out we found that she has allowed her home owners insurance to lapse - about 2 years ago. It seems that we are unable to obtain a new policy on the house since the original policy has lapsed. What are our options as to getting the house insured at least until we can get it sold?


Junior Member
Have the house put into your, or your wife's name and insure it as a secondary home, or a rental unit. I have never heard of any company refusing to insure a home because it didn't have a current policy. I have heard of companies refusing short term business for a house that is up for sale..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential