• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting custody from another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nancyb16

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
My husband's exwife currently lives in Virginia with his son. My stepson wants to come live with us here in Kentucky. We get visitation with him over the summer and Christmas. She is now planning on moving to Oklahoma in the next 30 days. Where would we have to file? Can we file ourselves or do we need a lawyer? My stepson is 13 and his environment there is not a good one. They just moved there from Tennesee in January.
Any help appreciated.

Shay-Pari'e

You file in the state the original orders are out of. Your husbands chances are slim. He needs to be able to prove her unfit .

nancyb16

How can we file in Tennesee (the state it was originally ordered in) if she doesn't live there any longer?
Also, would we have to prove her unfit? We feel she is but, proving it could be another matter. Doesn't the wishes of the child have any impact? He is almost 14. He wants to live with us because he misses his dad and we don't yell and fight all the time.

Shay-Pari'e

nancyb16 said:
How can we file in Tennesee (the state it was originally ordered in) if she doesn't live there any longer? Because that is how it works, untill Dad or Mom gets jurisdiction changed.

Also, would we have to prove her unfit? We feel she is but, proving it could be another matter.Then his chances are slim.

Doesn't the wishes of the child have any impact? He is almost 14. He wants to live with us because he misses his dad and we don't yell and fight all the time. A judge may consider his wishes, but Dad will need to prove the mother unfit to change the custody order as it stands, especially since it sounds like Mom is in no way willing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">