• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelzm0m

What is the name of your state?texas
ok this is a wierd situation.My son lives with his dad only because my ex took off with him to dallas from lubbock(his birthplace and home)with out my permission(neither one of us had custody even though i was the only one on the birth certificate)from year 1-2 my son lived back and forth between me and his dad(who still lives with mom and dad)until they just up and left.that family has lived everywhere and are always moving.Anyways i got a lawyer and filed all kinds of stuff including a writ of habeas which the judge wouldnt view the case cuz of juristiction, but i finally got one. When i got a judge to sign it i went to dallas with the writ but the cops would not help me saying there was no proof he was NOt the father they couldnt do anything.At this point i hadnot seen my son in 9 months. My ex just shows up one day sayin he didnt want to go to court no more and we agreed on joint custody but he had the right to designate residence which sucks... i just wanted to see my son.Well i was supposed to have visits every other weekend which was going ok for the 1st 3 visits then once again i cant get a hold of him for another 3 months so i called my lawyer and let him know.We had a mediation the other day and he was saying for an excuse he didnt have enough money to bring my son to me(which was court ordered on the papers)i decided i want full custody so he's all mad. he has alot of bad stuff on him that will help me get my son back(he hit me when i was pregnant with my son and a bunch of other stuff) my son told him he wanted to stay with me which i know he's only 3 but my ex said it broke his heart cuz hes the one that spend all this time with him (which is not my fault) Also he told me after the mediation that they since moved to san antoinio which is farther than dallas and i didnt even know this!that family moves around so much and my son does not have a stable home. i just need to know how good of a chance i have of getting full custody.It looks bad on me cuz my ex is the one who had all this time with my son...need some advice please...

snostar

There are many, many factors that a judge will consider when making a custody determination. Status quo and the fact that he moves around often are just a few. Document everything, prepare and research. www.deltabravo.net is a great site for getting ready for trial.

Zephyr

i don't know how you got snowed into agreeing to let him decide the child's residence, you could have fought that. Have your lawyer handle everything, don't agree to anything without your lawyer.

angelzm0m

i dont know what status quo is but ill look that up. Well the strikes my ex has is domestic violence (x3)robbery,dwi's,driving with suspended liscence, and so on.Mine is that I havent been with my son for so long and that i have an older daughter who lives with my mom who has temporary custody but that has been 7 years already.He however has a total of 7 kids and our son is # 4. He has signed over parental rights to 2 of them.My ex is saying he will only let our son visit at my moms house(me and her are not speaking) but yet i have my own house, am assistant manager at my job, have a car and everything, but my ex says he doesnt feel like my son is safe here which he has never even seen.My son has his own room and he hasnt even been here yet.Where should i go from here?thanks

angelzm0m

Also he is trying to claim that im a lesbian because my best friend is gay.He knows im not but i know he'll say anything to keep me from my son. what can i do about that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">