• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting divorced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandep

Want to say thanks in advance for any help.

I was served papers. Court date next month. No surprise. So if I'm agreeing to her demands, do I still need a lawyer. She has one representing her.

Just Blue

Want to say thanks in advance for any help.

I was served papers. Court date next month. No surprise. So if I'm agreeing to her demands, do I still need a lawyer. She has one representing her.
Do you have children together? How long were you married? Do you and she have lots of assets/debt?

Just Blue

No assets, no dept. We have one son and I'm agreeing to her demands as far as visitation.

Been married since Nov. 2011.
What are her "demands" regarding visitation? IMO, not having an attorney for your divorce when the STBX has one is akin to entering a gun fight with a spork.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Can you did up a few hundred for a consul...they attorney can look over ex's proposal and let you know if you are being screwed. IMO you main concern should be custody/support.
Ditto this. Also additional expenses - transportation for parenting time (if a factor), school expenses, extracurriculars, college, etc.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Whatever agreement is drawn up by her attorney should be looked at by an attorney representing you. Just to be safe. You may cause yourself more problems down the road if you don't have it checked.

I can't see it taking more than an hour or two of an attorney's time. Think of it as insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">