• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting full custody for mother committing welfare fruad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigles

Will I be handed custody of my son after his mother left us three years ago and was recieving snap benefits for those 3 yrs and not bringing our son any food or support?

LdiJ

Will I be handed custody of my son after his mother left us three years ago and was recieving snap benefits for those 3 yrs and not bringing our son any food or support?
Where has the child been primarily living those three years?

Bigles

He has been living with me,and I am his biological father. I raised him and three other children and also provided for all. She left and has not to this time provided any food or support for school, summer programs, clothing, or anything else. She would stop by and give him ten or twenty dollars but that is not supporting the child, that is giving him corner store money to spend. I give him that weekly for chores that he will do to help out around the house.

LdiJ

He has been living with me,and I am his biological father. I raised him and three other children and also provided for all. She left and has not to this time provided any food or support for school, summer programs, clothing, or anything else. She would stop by and give him ten or twenty dollars but that is not supporting the child, that is giving him corner store money to spend. I give him that weekly for chores that he will do to help out around the house.
Then why didn't you file for custody three years ago? Do so now. Status quo is definitely in your favor.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Petition the court for custody.

If there are any current orders for custody or child support, petition to modify them.

If there is a current court order for child support drop everything you are doing and petition for it to be stopped now. Just because the kid has been living with you, and mom hasn't been asking for $, doesn't mean that the child support order changes. Court ordered child support changes only when the court... orders it changed. Mom can come after you for 3 years of child support. In fact, I'm surprised the state hasn't been on your case before now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If mom is receiving public assistance, then chances are she doesn't have much money in the first place.

Bigles

I wanted her to do the right thing but I guess she was so filled up with her vengeful hope in her eyes of my imminent failure, that I never thought about injuring her. But now that she has mo

Bigles

There is no court order for neither of us to pay child support, and I am not seeking money from her. I am more concerned with the well being of my son and that is why I am seeking advice about filing now.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
There is no court order for neither of us to pay child support, and I am not seeking money from her. I am more concerned with the well being of my son and that is why I am seeking advice about filing now.
That is the best attitude to have.

So yes, if paternity hasn't been legally established, then do so, and petition for physical custody.

HRZ

Status quo favors you get custody and mom has visitation rights IF you seek and get an order
I'd seek such CS as the facts support ...hey mom might hit the lottery

About the only reason to have mom as custodial parent is that college financial aid will likely be higher if based on her " income"

Her rip off of welfare system is not relevant to your custody quest ...don't go there unless it's necessary to challenge her credibility

Bigles

I believe being that she abandoned her position as a parent, then she should not be allowed to be in an equal parental position. I am not seeking joint custody or considering her financial status because she has not been concerned with ours for three years. Women have always been the victors in custody proceedings against the father's since CS began, it is time for dad's to start playing their positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">