• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting full custody without a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I did not express an opinion yet, so how can you disagree with me? All I did was ask a couple of questions.
Are you saying that this is not an opinion:
You can, but its usually not particularly wise. If your daughter moves in with you, would she have to change high schools, or would it be a challenge to get her to her current school? How soon until she turns 18?
Using Mom's address when the child lives with Dad means that you are encouraging people to lie about where they really live.

There are legally correct ways to have a student go to a school in a different district from the one they live in. If you do it correctly, the child can openly live with their parent without lies, and even qualify for bussing in some cases.

Dad *says* the school district won't allow it. MA laws says otherwise in some cases https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXII/Chapter76/Section12B, and furthermore, even before that law was enacted, there were methods, legal methods, for getting your child into school in another district.

Dad has to talk to the right person to find out how to do this - the random staff member who answers the phone or in the principal's office staff might mot be the right person.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or kiddo WILL be an adult. Let her actually live in the apartment. You can help with rent, utilities, food, etc. Does she work?
Kiddo won't be an adult until after the school year starts, so dad should plan on actually living in the apartment until such time as she is an adult. Furthermore, what sane parent would let a new 18 year old live on their own, free and clear, all expenses paid while said 18 year old is still in high school? If the OP did that, I would expect to see further posts by the OP, but they'd be asking about getting an unmarried purported father to pony up expenses for an unplanned pregnancy.

ETA: An unplanned pregnancy isn't the only bad idea about such a plan. I can see parties, drinking, etc., going on at the apartment of a 18 year old high school student with no supervision.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Kiddo won't be an adult until after the school year starts,
Perhaps. She turns 18 "in September". Do we know when school starts? I don't, not up there. Here, we start Sept 6, but we don't know when in Sept her bday is...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">