• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting into kids email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teffy1971

What is the name of your state? illinois

I am very unlcear about what I can do about my step-sons computer use. I did hear earlier this year about someone getting in trouble for hacking into another persons email but does that apply to a minor living with his parents??
Can we hack into his email - legally?

JETX

"I am very unlcear about what I can do about my step-sons computer use."
*** You can't do anything. That is a right only allowed to his PARENTS or legally assigned guardians.

"I did hear earlier this year about someone getting in trouble for hacking into another persons email but does that apply to a minor living with his parents??"
*** No. But then, you are not his 'parent'.

"Can we hack into his email - legally?"
*** See above.

T

teffy1971

thnx

Sorry - I guess I wasnt really clear - it would be his FATHER getting into his email - just wanted to make sure a PARENT can do such a thing. And I am a legal guardian.

T

teffy1971

nope, no mom - she was deemed unfit due to mental illness - is now sending the kids sick twisted emails we are trying to find out about but he wont tell us - kinda a scary situation.
thanx for your help

H

hexeliebe

In other words, unless you have a court order granting you guardianship of the minor child, pursuant to 755 ILCS 5/11, you are a step mother with no legal standing.

Read the following from the Illinois Bar Journal for an explanation.

As a general rule, only a child's parents have the legal right to make decisions concerning the care and upbringing of that child. Legal guardianship of a minor is the process for granting that legal authority to someone other than the child's parents. This is usually done only in cases where the child is not in the care of a parent because the parent is unable to care for the child.

JETX

Hexy, back off!!
I just made myself the self-proclaimed LEGAL GUARDIAN of 'teffy', just as she did for HIS children.
:D

T

teffy1971

great two legal guardians ! Does that mean you are responsible for all the bills i run up and such cause that would be great!!

H

hexeliebe

No, Jet is your Punishment Guardian and I'm your TaskMaster Guardian....

Now get on your knees and give that floor a shine WOMAN!!!

T

teffy1971

you got me on my knees and all you want shined is the floor - what are you gay or something?

H

hexeliebe

O.K. good one. But hell, at 50 It's more like work than pleasure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">