• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Judgment for Back Rent from Only Some Tenants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ezaldere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am a LL who recently inherited a rental home from my parents. The existing tenant was a very, very nice lady and I have a soft spot for her because she was always honest and decent to my parents before they died. She struggled with being left by her husband, and although she was often late and it was difficult for her to do it, she always paid rent. She's just a really upstanding person at heart.

A few years ago, after the tenant's husband walked out on her, the tenant allowed her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend to move into the home to help make rent. The daughter and boyfriend pay most of the rent and, from what I've heard, have unfortunately been pretty miserable to the original tenant since then.

Still, the tenant was treading water, keeping the rent paid, keeping the house well kept.

When my mother died three months ago, the rent stopped. I tried very hard to work with the original tenant to help her stay in the house, even going so far as offering them a month's free rent if she could just pay last month's rent now and this month's rent by the end of the month.

But it looks like, for some insane reason, the daughter and boyfriend have just decided they won't pay their share of the rent... not because they can't afford it (they both have great jobs with utility companies). They want to see her mother evicted. I've explained that the judgment will go on all their records, not just the mother's. Still, they have flat out said they won't pay rent because they want the mom evicted and her life ruined. It breaks my heart to have to do this eviction, but I have little choice since there's no way the mom can ever pay the current rent, much less the back rent. She's so far behind now she'll never catch up.

Tomorrow I'll likely be getting a default judgment for possession. Once they are out, I intend to also file for back rent.

Here's the question: The mom is really very much a victim here, and I hate being the one to pile a judgment for back rent on top of her. It's bad enough that the daughter is screwing over her mom and getting her evicted. However, I have no qualms about adding on to the daughter and boyfriend's troubles (because they're doing this willingly). Can I file for back rent from only TWO of three tenants if the two were not the original tenants that signed a rental agreement with my mother, the original LL?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds to me as if your tenant is the mom. The kids are mom's "tenants" unless you have some sort of rental agreement with the kids. Do you?

ezaldere

My mom passed away.

If you want to get into the nitty-gritty, my mom was the trustee of her and my dad's trust, which is 50 percent owner of the home. The remaining 50 percent is owned by the irrevocable trust for my disabled cousin.

When my father died, my mom became trustee of their trust. When MY mom died, I became the survivor trustee of my mom and dad's trust. The trustee of the irrevocable trust has given me the role of manager of all tenant issues with regard to the cousin's share.

My mom and the tenant (who is the mother of one of the other tenants) are two different people.

I know... a lot of "moms" involved here.

The original agreement with the original tenant was between my mom and dad (as trustees of their trust). There is no new agreement signed between the current tenants with me, however ownership of the home hasn't changed, just the trustee of the trust.

And yes, technically, the daughter and boyfriend are subtenants of the original tenant, as they were never added to any rental agreement.

Does this mean I have no recourse for back rent from the daughter and boyfriend?

Last edited:

justalayman

he was referring to the mom that is a tenant.

The original agreement with the original tenant was between my mom and dad (as trustees of their trust). There is no new agreement signed between the current tenants with me, however ownership of the home hasn't changed, just the trustee of the trust.
so your tenant is the mother. That is who you sue and seek a judgment against. The daughter and daughter's boyfriend owe you nothing.

ezaldere

so your tenant is the mother. That is who you sue and seek a judgment against. The daughter and daughter's boyfriend owe you nothing.
Darnit. I just hate doing this to that poor woman.

BTW, anyone who thinks that being a LL is easy has NEVER been a LL.

latigo

Darnit. I just hate doing this to that poor woman.

BTW, anyone who thinks that being a LL is easy has NEVER been a LL.
I disagree that proof of a landlord tenant relationship is necessary in order to recover judgment from the two dead beats. Sue them on the theory of quantum meruit and let them defend the lawsuit by trying interplead the destitute woman for judgment over. And here is a case clearly in point.

Eighteen Associates, LLC vs. Nanjim Leasing Corp 683 N.Y.S.2d 291 (2d Dep’t 1999) where the New York Appellate court ruled that the absence of privity of contract presents no bar to a landlord obtaining use and occupancy from former sublessees of a commercial space. Subtenants claimed they had no liability because they were not parties to the lease between the owner and its tenant.

ezaldere

Wow. Read the judgment and the appeal judgment. Seems exactly on point. Two questions, tho:

1) Would a NY case hold any weight in California, and;
2) With this finding, how is it that it's not used in every case of subtenants? Wouldn't this pretty much negate the need for LLs to get additional tenants to sign a rental agreement?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I disagree that proof of a landlord tenant relationship is necessary in order to recover judgment from the two dead beats. Sue them on the theory of quantum meruit and let them defend the lawsuit by trying interplead the destitute woman for judgment over. And here is a case clearly in point.

Eighteen Associates, LLC vs. Nanjim Leasing Corp 683 N.Y.S.2d 291 (2d Dep’t 1999) where the New York Appellate court ruled that the absence of privity of contract presents no bar to a landlord obtaining use and occupancy from former sublessees of a commercial space. Subtenants claimed they had no liability because they were not parties to the lease between the owner and its tenant.
I disagree that your case from New York that deals with tenants in a commercial space has anything to do with a residential rental unit in California in which the original tenant still resides and has decided to sublease a portion of her rental unit to other parties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">