• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting my car back torn to pieces.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZRin85

I took my car to a dealership I worked at for an oil change. They told me they put 5 quarts of oil in it.The service was done, car seemed fine. About 5 days later my car has a knock in the engine. I took it back to the same shop, they verified it wasn't leaking or burning oil(per the service manager) In this time I got a new job and quit working there. They completely have my motor tore apart and are now telling me to come pick it up as is, not put back together.They are telling me they wont put anymore "time & money into it" Its obvious there was not 5 quarts of oil put in it. Is it legal for them to give me my car back basically torn apart?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I took my car to a dealership I worked at for an oil change. They told me they put 5 quarts of oil in it.The service was done, car seemed fine. About 5 days later my car has a knock in the engine. I took it back to the same shop, they verified it wasn't leaking or burning oil(per the service manager) In this time I got a new job and quit working there. They completely have my motor tore apart and are now telling me to come pick it up as is, not put back together.They are telling me they wont put anymore "time & money into it" Its obvious there was not 5 quarts of oil put in it. Is it legal for them to give me my car back basically torn apart?
What makes it obvious that they didn't put the oil in?

ZRin85

What makes it obvious that they didn't put the oil in?
There would be signs of the oil burning, and with a leak they would find it elsewhere in the motor. Which the service manager said himself there wasn't. The car only had 58,000 miles, my best guess is that they put a little oil in it (just not the 5 quarts they say) then once I drove somewhere other then to and from work what oil was in it thinned out and eventually caused the knock. But I was never told the entire engine would be torn apart, are they allowed to just say sorry about your luck we tore it apart not its your problem?

Zigner

There would be signs of the oil burning, and with a leak they would find it elsewhere in the motor. Which the service manager said himself there wasn't. The car only had 58,000 miles, my best guess is that they put a little oil in it (just not the 5 quarts they say) then once I drove somewhere other then to and from work what oil was in it thinned out and eventually caused the knock. But I was never told the entire engine would be torn apart, are they allowed to just say sorry about your luck we tore it apart not its your problem?
Did you not see the warning light and/or gauge indicating that there was a problem with the oil level?

xylene

What state is this?

Generally speaking you have the right to expect your car will be returned to you in no worse condition than when you brought in.

If your car was operational (but with a knock) and an assembled motor, you have the right to expect your vehicle will be returned to in that condition.

Zigner

If no light came on, then there's no real indication that the oil level was low. I know this doesn't address your present problem, but I suspect you are going to want to go after them for what you feel was their failure to put oil in the motor

ZRin85

If no light came on, then there's no real indication that the oil level was low. I know this doesn't address your present problem, but I suspect you are going to want to go after them for what you feel was their failure to put oil in the motor
I'm honestly looking at them as two different issues. Them giving me my motor in pieces is the more pressing matter at this point.

adjusterjack

Them giving me my motor in pieces is the more pressing matter at this point.
So? What are you going to do? Leave it there?

If you expect to take any legal action against the shop you will need to get the motor back as is and get an expert to examine it to determine the cause of the problem.

ZRin85

If you expect to take any legal action against the shop you will need to get the motor back as is and get an expert to examine it to determine the cause of the problem.
Obviously I don't want to leave it there, but when I took in a car that was intact. One would expect to get it back that way vs half my motor in boxes....Which is my question, are they allowed to call it quits and say just come pick it all up?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Obviously I don't want to leave it there, but when I took in a car that was intact. One would expect to get it back that way vs half my motor in boxes....Which is my question, are they allowed to call it quits and say just come pick it all up?
How much did you pay them?

xylene

The op would be nuts to accept the car back in a dismantled state.

He should consider to contact the Attoney General's office

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Business/Services-for-Business/Business-Guide/Repairs-and-Services

At the very least they have failed to disclose estimated charges (assembly and dissassembly specifically) that would reasonably be expected to exceed 50 dollars. That's a major consumer right.

Zigner

At the very least they have failed to disclose estimated charges (assembly and dissassembly specifically) that would reasonably be expected to exceed 50 dollars. That's a major consumer right.
I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you're premature. (Assumes facts not in evidence)

justalayman

So you say it was obvious there was no oil in the engine when they tore it apart. When you checked the oil level when you started hearing the knock or any time prior to taking it back to the dealer, how much oil was in the engine?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">