• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting my ducks in a row.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WolfnDolphin

:confused: California.
I just left a job that I have worked for approximately 4 1/2 years. For 2 of that I was a Patrol Security officer. Since then I was the dispatcher/communications officer/customer service rep. During that time, I never once received a break or lunch period. I did some research and found out what CA says about breaks/lunches and retained an attorney.
We sent out a demand letter that includes [Lab.C. § 515(a); 8 Cal.C.Regs.
§ 11010 et seq.], legal fees and the [LABOR CODE §226.7] dealing with breaks and lunches. Each with an amount owed.
My first question is: What is that first section? Is it a penalty assessed or estimation of what I should have been paid in overtime because I never received the lunches and breaks?
The second question is: What is the statute of limitations on the breaks/lunches? My attorney had told me that that issue is still up in the air. It is either 1 or 3 years. Should my demand letter show the amount for 3 just in case?

This may all be a moot point since my former employer already received the letter and is sure to send it on to his attorneys. I do know that the president of the company thinks that there is some stipulation in the law for "nature of the job". He is also aware of the possibility of a problem, since he wrote an interoffice memo to managers in the attempt to stave off a 'witch hunt'.

Thanks for your time!

WolfnDolphin

Ducks

Hey there. Thanks for the reply to my 'Duck' post. I agree that my lawyer is a good person to ask this stuff of...however, he is rather slow in calling back (telephobic I think). I was hoping to get a smidgen of info from folks that had been involved in similar situations. Once again...thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">