• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Out Of Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? South Dakota
Due to circumstances our daughter cannot move into an apartment. She met with the landlord, they quickly went over lease and it was signed. Nothing other then the initial deposit has been paid. Since that time, many things have come up and things have changed so that she will not be able to move into this apartment. Would contacting the landlord and explaining the situation to them be of any assistance in getting out of the lease without a big hassle?




Senior Member
Tell your daughter to meet with the LL right away and tell the LL of her financial problems that she feels are going to interfere with her renting from him /her . She did sign a Contract and needs to negotiate a wriiten cancelation of the lease to prevent the financial mess from growing If she acts quickly it is possible the LL might be able to re rent the unit more quickly cutting down on the loss created by her needing to break the lease .


You should LOAN your daughter the money.....

She is responsible till another tenant signs a new lease......

Also she should get a release from all claims and both sign it...that way neither of them can sue each other....

just write up something saying her and the landlord release each other from all claims re: the lease for (street address city).....starting on______and ending on_______

Thats it and tell her never to lose it, she will need it just in case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential