• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting ownership of ally way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mr-jf

What is the name of your state? michigan

my family has owned a beachfront cottage for about 50 years. we are the last lot of the subdivision. there is a 10 foot ally way next to our lot that is owned by the next subdivision. in 1971 my father and some of the owners of this ally way went to court to prevent the people across the street from using this as thier beach access and won the case. ever since we have been maintaining the property (cutting the grass and raking leaves), two or three years ago our neighbor passed away and gave the cottage to her grandaughter who has begun to landscape this ally way without the concent of their subdivision.

if they continue to develop and maintain this property can they gain ownership? and if so can we get ownership for maintaining it for the last 30 years ?

not sure if we have any rights to this property or not??

FarmerJ

so first bet is go to your county offices and find out exactly whom the registered owner of the land is. Once you know it isnt government land (city/county /state ) Go talk with a attorney right away . any claim you wish to make to the land the attorney can help you with . last thing too ask if the alley has been formally abandoned at the county offices If it was then the land may have been just added on to each parcel on each side of it ( same way alleys were abandoned in Dearborn and land just added to each parcel)

M

mr-jf

i have contacted the county and the plot states the "ally way is for the sole use of the owners" of the subdivision, or something very close to that, nothing more. but in the last 50 years no one has paid taxes on the land, it is private not government land and we have been maintaining it for 30 years now, so i'm not sure if that makes it abandoned or not? the judgment handed down in the case against the neighbors across the street was basically a cease and disist order, and stated nothing about ownership or maintainence, although there was an opinion included from the judge of which i am waiting for a copy.

thanks for the input, and we have an appointment with an attorney to see what if any options we have, i am just trying to get ideas or opinions to present to the attorney, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">