• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting rid of roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tallonj

My daughter rented an apartment in October 2000 in Illinois.
Her name is the only one on the lease. She has (unfortunately) let her boyfriend stay with her this entire time. Now she wants him out. He has given her $320 towards deposit/rent/utilities/food etc. He says he won't leave until he gets his $320 back. Does she have any legal rights, i.e. call the police to make him leave if her name is the only one on the lease?

C

curlyq's mom

Definitely not a legal opinion but, why would the BF get all $320 back? Did he not eat, use electricity, etc. while he lived there?

T

tallonj

Yes, he did...I think this is just an excuse. That's why I'm trying to see if legally she can get him removed from the apartment.

HomeGuru

Come on people. Forget all this so called legal crap. If he will leave upon payment of the $320 then have the daughter pay him back this amount to get rid of him. Does not common sense rule over legal issues in this case?
In fact, I would pay him even more to leave.
And what a joke. What can the police do? This is a civil matter dear and not a criminal matter. Your daughter was wrong to let him in, in the first place.

T

tallonj

Neither I nor my daughter has the $320 to give to him or we would. She's recently had a job change and is struggling to get started as it is....Thanks for the advise...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">