• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting SSN # from my parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Littlelawyer

New York

For the past week or so I have been trying to get my social security card and number from my parents. They refuse to give it to me, with no reason. I am 14 and will soon want a job and know that I need my social security card for the family business I will work for. I also have other things I need it for. I stream gameplay for othsr people to watch on a platform called Twitch, a very familiar and safe website owned by amazon. I have worked to the point in the website to join their “Affiliate Program” where you can get payed through people donating and subscribing monthly for real money that can go to a bank or online wallet like PayPal. For this program I need my SSN for royalty tax. This is so the website can take a percentage of what people donate etc... Whati wanted to know is, do I have the right to my own social security as a minor under the custody of both of my married parents?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
do I have the right to my own social security as a minor under the custody of both of my married parents?

No. Nor do you have the right to participate in any of the activities you describe without the permission of your parents.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
New York
Whati wanted to know is, do I have the right to my own social security as a minor under the custody of both of my married parents?
Your parents are not legally obligated to disclose your SSN to you. You could, however, try contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) and see if the agency will help you with that. You'd need documents to prove your identity to SSA however, and that might put you in the same situation you have with the SSA card.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You may also want to research whether they are required to let you keep the money you earn...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your parents are not legally obligated to disclose your SSN to you. You could, however, try contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) and see if the agency will help you with that. You'd need documents to prove your identity to SSA however, and that might put you in the same situation you have with the SSA card.
OP might even get a little traction by talking to the school and asking to see his records. Might, but might not...it's just a thought.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
In order for a 14 year old to legally work in the state of New York you need "working papers". In order to apply for your employment certificate, aka "working paper" you need your parents permission.

LS650

For more information, check out NY Dept of Labor's
FAQs about minors and work
Working Papers

You may *want* to work, and have someone willing to hire you, but your parents don't have to give you permission.

Your parents, for whatever reason, apparently don't want to give you permission to work. As long as you are a minor and not emancipated, that's the reality that you have to live with.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My life was different I suppose. I had my social security number memorized before I was 12. I needed it for the military auxiliary that I was involved with, as they used it as our serial number (that's since been changed, of course).

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My life was different I suppose. I had my social security number memorized before I was 12. I needed it for the military auxiliary that I was involved with, as they used it as our serial number (that's since been changed, of course).
The thing is, even with a your social security number memorized, a minor still can't get working papers in New York without parent/guardian permission.

The OP mentioned Amazon's "Twitch" affiliate program. It too requires parental supervision and authorization.
I'm pretty sure our poster has neither.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">