• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting sued...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vollbree88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am getting sued by a former private university that I attended in 2005. Midway through my first semester I had to withdraw due to a family illness. When I left there was an outstanding balance. My father received a summons last week from a sheriff which he mailed to me and I received today. I was not of legal age at the time of applying and attending the University... At the time I was 17 years old. The summons states "At the special insistence and request of the Defendant, while the Defendant was enrolled at ______ University, the Defendant entered into oral and/or implied contracts of law wherein the Plaintiff was to provide certain educational services to the Defendant. The Defendant has failed to pay for said educational services and is indebted to the Plaintiff in the amount of $5,000. Although demand has been made repeatedly, the Defendant has failed to pay the balance due, or any portion thereof." With that being said, I do not remember signing any contracts, although the summons states "entered into oral and/or implied contracts". But, I was not of legal age nor understanding of any legal aspects or contracts at the time. It is just NOW that I am hearing of this. Does the fact that I was underage at the time of the "oral/implied contact" have any bearing on the case whatsoever? Or, do the SOL's apply? I don't quite understand how I can be getting sued for something that at the time I wasn't even of legal age to apply for credit or even buy a car. In any event... I live 1,000 miles from the place I am getting sued. Would hiring an attorney be my best bet? If so, what type of attorney should I be looking for? The summons gives me two options: One that I settle or Two that I file a defense. Thanks for any advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">