• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pepper881

What is the name of your state? MA

I am getting sued by a law firm for a debt i originally owed to Lowes that was bought by Cavalry. My court date is Sept 5th 2018. The debt turned 6 years old in June 12.
The amount is 2,100. In March I showed up for our 1st court date and said I wanted proof the account in question was mine and that I owed the amount stated. The case was postponed and a month later I received a bunch of documents of old statements and a letter that said my account was sold to Calvary from Loews. My signature was not present anywhere on any form.
I tried settling with them today over the phone for 700$ because that is all I can afford but they wouldn't even consider it. Any advice going forward on how i can try and pay the least or can I get this thrown or do they have enough proof of debt owed. I hadn't heard from anyone about this loan in YEARS and then boom I get a letter in the mail with a court date (not even certified mail) , assuming because they found out I settled a 18,000$ debt with Midland funding for$ 7,000... but that was all the money I had! Any advice is so appreciated! I am really scared about going to court

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your signature need not be present and you don't even deny that it's your debt. You will lose in court.

adjusterjack

I am really scared about going to court
Don't be. The worst that can happen is you lose, they get a judgment, trash your credit and garnish your paycheck. At least then you'll be on a payment plan. Just be careful not to keep any money in banks because they can get every penny up to the judgment amount plus costs.

And, yes, I think they have enough documentation to prove (with a preponderance of the evidence - google it) that it was your account and you defaulted on it and they own it now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">