• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting the states to enforce order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? california
my state has had my case since november 1999. my ex moved to arkansas in 2000. no one seems to be willing to pursue child support. each state says it is the others responsibility. how can i use the laws to make them help me?

I live in California as well and I've been dealing with the same circumstance for a while now. Here is what I have discovered.

The county (and state) where the child resides is responsible for collection of child support. I have learned that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Keep the phone calls going to the support officer. Call once a week and see if they have any new information. Be sure to give them any information you may have on the father’s income or place of employment, residence, etc. Make sure you are nice though, and generally they will do that little extra to help you out.

Good luck.


I live in Washington and when my ex moved to both Oregon and Idaho, the child support enforcement agency was changed to the once closest to him. Since he had to pay the child support, they follow him. If I move it does not change which location handles my child support collection. It follows the father.
I would ask this question again to your CSO office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential