• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting U.S. Insurance while working overseas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I am contemplating taking a job in Germany (German contract). I plan to take out health insurance in Germany while working there.

However, in the event that I get sick while there, and want to return to the United States, I would probably have trouble getting an insurance company to sell me insurance due to the newly acquired pre-existing condition.

I want to find out if it is possible to take out a policy in the U.S. (in addition to the Germany policy), such that I don't lapse coverage in the U.S. while out of the country.

Any help on this would be appreciated,



Junior Member
International insurance companies say this:

"Unfortunately, we are not able to cover american people living in USA due to the US law, only expatriates are eligible."

Do you know what the law is? is it that non-american companies are not allowed to issue U.S. insurance for americans?

Does anyone know if U.S. insurance companies can issue insurance (in the U.S.) for Americans who are not currently living in the U.S.? I understand that insurance is state based. I am a resident of Colorado for tax purposes, even though I don't live there right now. Is that enough qualification for insurance in the state?

Thanks for anyone who has any info on this...


How long do you plan on being in Germany? And are you in Germany now?

You'd have to ask a carrier for insurance in the states what there requirements are for "creditable coverage". If your foreign insurance policy is considered creditable coverage, you should be fine with regards to coming back to the US and getting a policy without worrying about pre-existing conditions.

One thing you could do is sign up for an individual policy with a really high deductible, and pay for it up front for the time you'll be overseas ( or bankdraft, etc.) Just don't miss a payment. That way, you'll have your own coverage when you return. It will cost you some to have it while your overseas and not using it, but it's a way to prevent having to worry about not being covered for a pre-existing condition. You can always re-apply for a lower deductible plan when you get back. If you go back onto an employer's group health plan, you can't be pre-ex'd for anything that you had creditable coverage for while you were gone.

There are also short term traveler's policies that you can get, but I'm not certain of the length they offer for coverage, or what they cover; I think they are primarily "catastrophic" plans. This is the type of insurance you can buy for traveling out of the country, since any care OUT of the country is going to be considered "out of network" and will likely not be covered, except that they might add the total to your "out of network" deductible, if you have one.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential