• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift from outside of the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I have a question about gift taxes, more specifically, foreign gift taxes and the laws tied to it. For example, if a parent (Non-US citizen or resident) gives his/her child (a US citizen) a gift of $1,000,000 US dollars, is that taxable or not. I know the recipient of the gift has to declare the gift and file the 3520 form, but does the recipient need to pay any taxes on the gift? If not, would the donor (parent) need to pay taxes even though he/she is not a US citizen or resident?

Dandy Don

Senior Member
This is a question for a local CPA or tax accountant, or you could even visit the irs.gov website and post your question there and receive a professional answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential