• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift tax and real estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susan t

What is the name of your state? TX
Thank you so much for your reply IOKU I appreciate your help greatly. RE SUSAN T from 9/23/02 post concerning buying a home for Mom and Dad. If they gift us the $120,000 who will have to pay the gift tax on it? Also....if we put the mortgage in my name and both my parents name would it still be a gift if they used it as a down payment? There is no reason to believe at this time that they would be in need of a nursing facility they are both in good health. However, you never know...so I am trying to best prepare for any future situations. I have never had any experience in this type of thing so it is all very confusing to me as to how best do this.
A mortgage officer said maybe we should put the deed in my husband and I's names, & have each parent gift $10k to both my husband and I and then finance the rest of the mortgage so we can take the interest deduction. The sales price of the home is $233,000. We would be able to get $40K in non-taxable gifts this year for the down payment and then another $40K after January 1,2003, to put towards the mortgage. Or they can put the whole $120K from the proceeds of the sale of their home in Ohio. What do you suggest? Again thank you for your help it is great appreciated!!
Susan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">