• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend trying to kick me out of my shared lease apartment - Housing court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jumpinbunny

As far as I can tell, I am supposed to be going to housing court in Massachusetts on Monday. I believe my girlfriend is trying to kick me out of the apartment (we are both on the lease, as well as our co-signers) and/or she is trying to get a restraining order against me.
Here’s what happened: Over the course of a year, I caught my girlfriend of 4 years cheating on my with 5 other guys. I guess I was too soft and allowed it to happen (technically she only kissed 4 of them), truly believing that people can change and because she was going to therapy for her issues as well. Needless to say, there were many arguments over the year and many trust issues. Sometimes we were broken up, sometimes we were on “breaks” and most of the time we were together. Now, a few days ago, I told her it’s your responsibility to tell these guys that you are in a relationship and are unavailable and not allowed to be doing this shit; if I hear about anything like this again, I will confront the guy. So a day later we apparently mutually broke up, (although it was just her idea) and then the absolute next day she went out and made out with the last guy she was cheating on my with right outside my apartment. (I must note that we talked about what I said while we were broken up as well and she said that I can still do what I said I was going to do about confronting)
I went to confront him, we had some pushing and yelling, but no blood was spilled and no one was hurt... except me. My girlfriend pulled my by my shirt, choking me and pushed me to the ground causing all kind of scratches, bruises, marks (I took pictures), and severe loss of breath. Then she called the cops on me. The cops apparently came to stop the fighting? But they basically cited 209A, a domestic issue and forced me to give my keys to her for the entire weekend until we resolved the issue in housing court. They said it’s possible she might file a restraining order against me, but she is definitely trying to get me kicked out.
The only thing that I can say I’m guilty of is having some anger issues, but I recently learned that my father has cancer, I lost my job, and I have no money... so that doesn’t help. BUT besides breaking a chair and a phone, I have NEVER hit her at all or verbally abused her. Whereas over the past year she has become cold, violent, aggressive, and as she said, resentful. She constantly verbally abuses me and hits me over the head.
The biggest issue I see is that she has the uppper hand of calling the cops on me and having this “harassment” issue hanging over me, I’m worried anything else I say will be secondary just so they can “””be on the safe side””” even thought its completely baseless.
So basically, I’m wondering if I am able to overturn/repeal any apparent harassment/domestic dispute issues with the court and, if anything, get the true story of her abuse out there. I just want to stay in my apartment, as I have no money and no job and no where else to go, unlike her who has friends in the city.
How will the court see this at first? What are my options? Can I win the case, maybe get a restraining order against her (prevent her from getting one against me and forcing me out)? Assault/battery charges against her are not out of the question either. Anything that it takes to win the case.
All help and advice is appreciated.

xylene

Just agree to move our voluntarily on the condition you don't owe any more rent and have no liability for the apartment and see agrees the place is in good undamaged condition. Ask for her to give your share of any deposit, but don't push it if it would scuttle a deal to be out without paying any more rent!

That is the ABSOLUTE best you can hope for. You are going to be moving. I'll repeat, you are going to be moving. Even if you magically kept the place. I say magically because it isn't happening, and you cant afford it. If you are broke jobless and without support in an expensive city, it is time to move to a new town or back to where you are known.

You need to get some help for your anger and emotions. Your certainty you are right here is way off.

Right now, you need to focus on avoiding charges and orders. Just get out. The court won't care she kissed some dudes.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Clarification: she is your exgirlfriend, and what she does with any man is her business, not yours.

Please go to https://www.mass.gov/search-court-dockets-calendars-and-case-information and look up your case to determine precisely what you are going to housing court for.

Aside (because housing court does not issue restraining orders, it only deals with housing):

You started the altercation. There was no reason for you to get confrontational. If you did not like her behavior because you wanted a more exclusive relationship, then you should have broken up, lived peacefully as uninvolved roommates with separate bedrooms until the end of your lease or else l-e-f-t.

Legally, you are not the aggrieved party.

She is taking legal action against you. The issues she is bringing forth will be addressed first. Court is more like baseball than a hockey game. She is the plaintiff. You are the respondent. Her complaints will be addressed first and foremost.

You do not get your "Matlock moment" where you suddenly present pictures not in evidence as an "ace up your sleeve" to turn the tables on her.

Housing court does not deal with harassment. It deals exclusively with housing issues. You should prepare to find housing elsewhere.

Just Blue

As far as I can tell, I am supposed to be going to housing court in Massachusetts on Monday. I believe my girlfriend is trying to kick me out of the apartment (we are both on the lease, as well as our co-signers) and/or she is trying to get a restraining order against me.
Here’s what happened: Over the course of a year, I caught my girlfriend of 4 years cheating on my with 5 other guys. I guess I was too soft and allowed it to happen (technically she only kissed 4 of them), truly believing that people can change and because she was going to therapy for her issues as well. Needless to say, there were many arguments over the year and many trust issues. Sometimes we were broken up, sometimes we were on “breaks” and most of the time we were together. Now, a few days ago, I told her it’s your responsibility to tell these guys that you are in a relationship and are unavailable and not allowed to be doing this shit; if I hear about anything like this again, I will confront the guy. So a day later we apparently mutually broke up, (although it was just her idea) and then the absolute next day she went out and made out with the last guy she was cheating on my with right outside my apartment. (I must note that we talked about what I said while we were broken up as well and she said that I can still do what I said I was going to do about confronting)
I went to confront him, we had some pushing and yelling, but no blood was spilled and no one was hurt... except me. My girlfriend pulled my by my shirt, choking me and pushed me to the ground causing all kind of scratches, bruises, marks (I took pictures), and severe loss of breath. Then she called the cops on me. The cops apparently came to stop the fighting? But they basically cited 209A, a domestic issue and forced me to give my keys to her for the entire weekend until we resolved the issue in housing court. They said it’s possible she might file a restraining order against me, but she is definitely trying to get me kicked out.
The only thing that I can say I’m guilty of is having some anger issues, but I recently learned that my father has cancer, I lost my job, and I have no money... so that doesn’t help. BUT besides breaking a chair and a phone, I have NEVER hit her at all or verbally abused her. Whereas over the past year she has become cold, violent, aggressive, and as she said, resentful. She constantly verbally abuses me and hits me over the head.
The biggest issue I see is that she has the uppper hand of calling the cops on me and having this “harassment” issue hanging over me, I’m worried anything else I say will be secondary just so they can “””be on the safe side””” even thought its completely baseless.
So basically, I’m wondering if I am able to overturn/repeal any apparent harassment/domestic dispute issues with the court and, if anything, get the true story of her abuse out there. I just want to stay in my apartment, as I have no money and no job and no where else to go, unlike her who has friends in the city.
How will the court see this at first? What are my options? Can I win the case, maybe get a restraining order against her (prevent her from getting one against me and forcing me out)? Assault/battery charges against her are not out of the question either. Anything that it takes to win the case.
All help and advice is appreciated.
How do you plan on paying rent with no money and no job? You and this girl can't live together anymore. It's a volatile situation. I advise you to go stay with your parents or another family member and stay away from this girl.

Just Blue

Honestly and sadly reading between the lines it seems the OP is expecting the GF to be forced leave but remain liable for the rent.
Perhaps...or the other roomies. Based on what OP has shared he will be ordered to vacate. I truly doubt the Judge will order a rent paying person out and let the penniless one stay.

Eekamouse

Perhaps...or the other roomies. Based on what OP has shared he will be ordered to vacate. I truly doubt the Judge will order a rent paying person out and let the penniless one stay.
I think he thinks that he should be able to stay in the apartment because after all, she cheated on him so she should be punished and he should be able to stay so he can continue to harass her for her misdeeds. Seems legit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">