• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

give 2 weeks notice or get no vacation pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmaddress

What is the name of your state? TX
My former coworker gave a "2 week notice" on May 13. her last day was to be May 26. She changed her mind due to treatment and made the 20th her last day. The company said they would not pay her the 4 days vacation she had not taken in order to complete the 2 weeks notice. They said 2 weeks notice is mandatory. Is this correct and can they withhold the pay?

I ask this because I too am looking, and I don't feel I owe them a 2 week notice. I thought that was a curtesy not a requirement. I still have 2 weeks and 2 days of vacation. Should I start taking it now or do they owe me the vacation pay if I do not give a notice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The state of Texas does not require an employer to pay out vacation time at termination.

No state REQUIRES an employee to give any kind of notice. However, in your state, a policy in which vacation pay is not paid out if the employee does not give notice, is legal.

It's up to you whether to take vacation before giving notice or not. Keep in mind that if you make it too obvious that this is what you're doing, your employer is free to reference that fact when giving references to prospective employers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">