• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

give up sole custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Illinois
I have a two year old daughter that I have sole custody of from my marriage. I was planning on giving her father partial custody soon seeing how good he has been with her. I was wanting to go into the navy before the end of this year and the "hear say" was that all I would have to do is give up temporary custody of her to her father while I go through basic, and then I would get her back. I am hearing now that I have to give up full custody. I am very nervous about doing that in regards that he wont give me partitial custody back once I'm out of basic. I have searched the internet for laws on this so called temporary custody. Does it even exsist? If I was to give up full custody and he doesnt want to give it back, how long would it be before I could even take him to court to get it back? If there is someone who has been in or heard of a similar situation, I am begging for advice.Thanx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential