• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving a notice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idgit152

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I currently live an a apt bldg that was just sold. The original lease I signed was for a 3mo period and then month to month thereafter. The new owners sent a letter in August stating that there would be a rent increase as of Oct
1st and all tennants must sign a new lease by Sept 15th. If I do not want to sign a lease tomorrow and move to a new apartment instead, do I still need to give a 30 day notice or is it OK to move out on Oct 1st? I realize that normally a 30 day notice is standard but since they served me w/ a notice rent was increasing on that date and a new lease was to be signed, I was thinking that if no lease is signed by Sept 15th it's implied and understood I am moving Oct 1st.

My lease from the previous owner does state a 30 day notice is required. However, it makes no mention at all of what happens if the bldg is sold.

Thanks.:confused:

idgit152

To Clarify

I would tell them tomorrow I am leaving Oct 1st.

I didn't want you to think I meant I would just leave and not say anything at all to them.

atomizer

Nothing is presumed or implied. If you do not want to sign a new lease, you give a 30 day notice. Depending on NY state, your move out date is before Nov 1st.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">