• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving Notice and Not Being Allowed to Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JimmyHo

What is the name of your state? California

:confused: I recently resigned from my job. I gave two week's notice on June 10th. My company accepted my resignation yet through "the goodness of their hearts" made my last official date of employment June 30th.

However, company policy, it turns out, is that once managers resign they are excused from duty immediately, which I was. So I was not allowed to physicaly fulfill my work obligations through the end of the month, though I was more than willing and able to do so.

My health plan through Blue Cross ends coverage at the end of the last pay period worked, which was June 15th. My son needed medical attention on June 17th, for which I now have a $222 bill that was denied by the insurance company.

My question is, since the company prohibited me from working out my final two weeks, and had I been allowed to the doctor's visit on the 17th would have been covered, do I have any recourse to go back to the company for reimbursement of the medical expense?

Thank you.

Beth3

No. If the company employs more than 20 people though, they have to offer you COBRA continuation coverage. You can opt to pay the premium for one month (up to 18 months in total) to get the bill paid if you wish.

You may find the monthly premium is more than the $222 doctor bill however.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The company is under no obligation to allow you to fulfill a notice period. It is not at all illegal or even uncommon for them to "refuse to allow you to work".

Beth is absolutely correct. Although you will be able to elect COBRA and thus have your insurance reinstated, the cost may well be higher than the bill itself.

T

typhoon

re:

You said they made an official date of June 30th (If it is in black and white). Since June 17th is not the 30th. I do not see why they can not pick up the tab.

Just an opinion

TyPhoon

Beth3

While that would be a generous thing for them to do, they are under no legal obligation to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">