• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

giving up parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EEck

If a couple have a child(unmarried) and from the beginning
the guy expressed no desire to parent the child yet the gal
went ahead and had the child can the guy give up ALL rights
to the child, does the mother have to consent to this, would he be able to drop all rights? We live in Ohio

M

MajesticDad

Yes you can give up all rights. He can ask for a form to fill out to Terminate his parental rights. He would need this witnessed and noterized. File with the courts. This however in some states does not mean he does not get out of haveing to pay support for the child. He just loses his rights as a parent, like where the child goes to school, etc.. And once it is done, it is done. He can not change it to my knowledge. You may want to go to your states website http://www.state.oh.us and search their state laws on this.
I hope this helps,

Majestic Dad

EEck

Majestic Dad; Maybe it's me but I could not get ANY information or locate the right forms is it me? Did you
check the site? I don't expect you to do the work for me
but I've been looking for the past 12 hours for links
and any thing that looks like a possibility with no luck.
Any advice?

M

MajesticDad

Well I did the same. I checked everywhere. Best bet is to the States Attorneys office and ask them to provide you with a Form to Terminate Parental Rights. The state staute does not show anything. I would go up there, Explain to them what you need, and they will get you the form and explain what needs to be done. Again this is only advice. I hope it all works for you. Let me know how it goes.

Majestic Dad

Ambr

you can't just decide that you don't want to be a parent.

if the mother lists you as the father on the birth certificate and when paternity is established - you have all the rights and the responsibilities of a father.

if you do not want to be active in the life of your child, it would be a shame - for you and the child. but you would still have the responsibility of supporting that child until he/she is emancipated.

you can not just sign away your parental rights. someone has to be willing to adopt the child and assume those rights and responsibilities. if that happens you are off the hook.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">