• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving up Paternal rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellama24

I live in PA. My son is 14 years old. His father, even though he doubted his paternity, signed the child support forms when he was born, taking responsibility as a father. However, he only started paying child support about 5 years ago and has not been a part of the child's life. Can I have him relinquish his paternal rights so that we can all move on, and also remove him from any further child support? I believe the father would have no objections to this. If this is possible and simple, where do I get the forms to be filled out?

Just Blue

I live in PA. My son is 14 years old. His father, even though he doubted his paternity, signed the child support forms when he was born, taking responsibility as a father. However, he only started paying child support about 5 years ago and has not been a part of the child's life. Can I have him relinquish his paternal rights so that we can all move on, and also remove him from any further child support? I believe the father would have no objections to this. If this is possible and simple, where do I get the forms to be filled out?
No. You can not do this.

What do you mean by "so the we can all move on"? Unless you wish to have a step-parent adoption there really isn't any point to a TPR. Also...if you were, at any time, receiving State Aid then you can't stop the child support...a portion of those payments are paying back the state.

bellama24

Move on as in, releasing him from any further obligation to the child, and since the child has been shunned by him to this day, I feel it may be better for this to occur. I did receive state support many years ago. I believe when I was pregnant and a little after. What if that was already paid off?

Just Blue

Move on as in, releasing him from any further obligation to the child, and since the child has been shunned by him to this day, I feel it may be better for this to occur. I did receive state support many years ago. I believe when I was pregnant and a little after. What if that was already paid off?
What you are proposing doesn't make sense. How is it better for your child to not be supported by both patents? You can always put the CS in a savings acct and use it towards Jr'. higher education. In that way at least he is doing something for his child. If Dad choses to "shun" his child he should NOT be allowed to financially abandon him/her as well!

If the states obligation is paid then cs can be stopped. Tho I think you are being incredibly shortsighted and doing a HUGE disservice to your child if you stop support.

LdiJ

Its not simple at all. Most states will not allow a parent's rights to be voluntarily terminated unless there is a stepparent willing to adopt and take over the responsibilities. They want two parents legally responsible for supporting children. What do you hope to gain for your son by attempting to terminate his father's parental rights? There may be an alternate way to accomplish what you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">