• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

going to mediation for disability lawsuit tomorrow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shabrikes

I live in Utah. I purchased a disablity insurance policy from my employer while working. I became disabled with MS during that period. They have refused to pay the policy & I had to get a lawyer - we are going to mediation tomorrow. My question is, I signed up for a disability insurance plan using taxed dollars which should have meant I would not be taxed on what I was to receive in disability payments. If we successfully mediate tomorrow with a settlement, am I required to pay taxes on the settlement even though the policy I purchased was to not be taxed??? It sure would change what I thought was a fair settlement? Also, can anyone point me to any documented legal tax laws on this?
TIA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">