• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to trial for Misdemeanor trespass charge. (Update)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yulaw911

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

I just wanted to post an update to my situation. If you want any background info on my case my thread is HERE: https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/citizens-arrest-trespassing-not-arrested-552374.html

Just to refresh, the DA was supposed to have contacted the "victim" (my ex) during the pre-trial hearing but he hadn't had time so my lawyer motioned for trial. Today 9/12/11 was the day for jury selection and my lawyer was confident that the DA should have contacted her by now and had read all the emails in the discovery file my lawyer had sent him. Apparently the DA had spoken to my ex but claimed he never received any discovery file from my lawyer and asked for "continuance" from the judge to which my lawyer said no that he didn't want to prolong this any further.

I am actually quite upset about the fact that my lawyer denied continuance to the DA and i feel as if though he should have consulted with me first before saying that. I figured that given more time and seeing all the evidence he might be more inclined to drop the case, but its too late to hire anyone else so i guess im stuck. Hes a great attorney just very headstrong.

Now the case is set for trial on 09/21/11 and i can honestly say i never expected it to go this far. The DA seems as if this isn't on the top of his priority list. My lawyer is going to resend his discovery packet to the DA. Is there still a chance that the DA could dismiss it once he reviews the packet and sees that its not a case he can win? If so would this happen on the day of the trial or before that. Any help would be appreciated just very stressed out.

CdwJava

Anything is possible.

The court might be miffed if the attorneys wait until a jury has been seated and the court has been encumbered for a trial of two or more days and announce a deal at the last second. If it goes to the trial date, chances are the DA will go through with the trial.

Your attorney should have some idea what this prosecutor is up to and what he might do.

yulaw911

Yeah I can see how the court might be miffed they waited so long to work out a deal. I just spoke to my attorney today and he told me he was going to hire a PI to interview the "victim" because he wants to know what shes going to say if she testifies but its my call. I guess its just a waiting game till trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">