• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a call from the cops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas
My uni's police dept called me for questioning. Apparently a friend of mine had gotten 4 felony charges which I did not know about. I thought he was arrested for use of unauthorized vehicle but his charges were much worse. In his phone the cops said there were conversations of him selling marijuana to me (for which I refused to answer). In addition the cops are looking for his laptop and other information which I do not have. They told me to "not turn off my phone since they are going to call me"

How worried should I be? I am already considering asking for a lawyer next time if they call me (I can't afford one) but I wanna get a general idea. I am on a visa here and there was someone from the dept of homeland security there too, who also made "threats" regarding my visa status.

I do not have the information they ask for. What advice would you give and how bad is my situation?

Thanks in advance!

quincy

Watch this video:

I suggest you refrain from taking calls from any of your friends or acquaintances from whom you have in the past purchased drugs.

And, if the police contact you again, exercise your right to remain silent and get an attorney.

Good luck.

quincy

Yeah that's what I figured. But like how bad is it though? With how much they have so far can I get arrested/charged?
Can you be arrested and charged based on texts alone? Possibly.

But I would think a prosecutor would want/need more. It really depends on the evidence, of which witness testimony could be some.

Just don't say anything and call an attorney if called on to answer questions.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

Yeah that's what I figured. But like how bad is it though? With how much they have so far can I get arrested/charged?
There's no way anybody can speculate on that.

Professor Duane makes the point in the video that if you are going to be arrested, no amount of talking is going to stop it from happening. Don't talk, no matter what. Insist on a lawyer. I suggest you line one up now so you can reach him/her quickly if you do get arrested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">