• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got Conned - Any Recoursethread deleted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

Got Conned - Any recourse?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California

So I agreed to put my fiance as an approved user on my credit cards before realizing she had been playing me.

In a matter of a couple days, she took out TWO $12,000 cash advances from my cards. I was never contacted or alerted and the advances went through with no problem.

What my question is, are the credit card companies at fault for approving multiple, high dollar cash advances in such a short amount of time without contacting me or temporarily freezing my account?

While she had authority to use my cards, I would think such large amounts should set off some alarms. Is this predatory lending? Aside from personal lawsuits against her....do I have any legal recourse to avoid paying back this debt??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored ad

bambam323
View Public Profile
Find all posts by bambam323

Ads by Google

Ask a Lawyer Online Now - 14 Lawyers Are Online. Current Wait Time: 7 Minutes. - Law.JustAnswer.com

Sue Debt Collectors - Learn Your Debt Collection Rights. Free Lawyer Case Review. - Fair Debt Collection | Lemon Law | Consumer Law | Personal Injury | Attorney

Credit Card Debt Relief - Out of Debt w/ 1 Lower Monthly Pymt $15K Debt min. Featured on CNN - FastTrackDebtRelief.com

Chapter 7 Means Test - Determine If Chapter 7 Is an Option for You, Complete a Free Evaluation - Chapter 7 Bankruptcy: Free Chapter 7 Evaluation Form

#2 06-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Proserpina
Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam323
California

So I agreed to put my fiance as an approved user on my credit cards before realizing she had been playing me.

In a matter of a couple days, she took out TWO $12,000 cash advances from my cards. I was never contacted or alerted and the advances went through with no problem.

What my question is, are the credit card companies at fault for approving multiple, high dollar cash advances in such a short amount of time without contacting me or temporarily freezing my account?

While she had authority to use my cards, I would think such large amounts should set off some alarms. Is this predatory lending? Aside from personal lawsuits against her....do I have any legal recourse to avoid paying back this debt??

Thanks in advance.

No, no and yes - you pay off the debt and then sue her in court.

It's not the creditor's fault you exercised poor judgment and/or weren't monitoring your account.

Quote:

Have enough courage to trust love one more time. And always one more time. - (Maya Angelou)

Do not microwave grapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazmania
One last word to "CB"; before you throw insults & TRY to impress yourself & your cronies by criticizing MY spelling, you should consult your spellcheck first or you end up looking like an even bigger bufoon. My spelling is PERFECT!

Find an Attorney

Proserpina
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Proserpina
Find all posts by Proserpina

#3 Yesterday, 03:31 AM
swalsh411
Senior Member Join Date: Dec 2009

Was this "fiance" any chance a "woman" you met online but never actually met?

Find an Attorney

swalsh411
View Public Profile
Send a private message to swalsh411
Find all posts by swalsh411

#4 Today, 02:01 AM
sandyclaus
Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2009

Quote:
California

Thanks in advance.

Hey, YOU were the one who authorized the woman as an approved user on your credit card accounts. The bank has no idea how far this approval goes, just that she was authorized. Your decision to allow her to use the cards means that the bank has no requirement to notify you of anything regarding the use of said cards. She has just as much right to use the credit cards the same as you might.

Sure, the bank might have contacted you if they were concerned about an exceptionally high amount of charges on the cards in a short amount of time. But then they would ask you if this woman was an authorized user on the card accounts (which she was), and any investigation would be over and done with.

Your bad decision to give this woman carte blanche over your credit accounts was an extremely poor choice on your part, but you cannot hold the bank responsible for your lack of good judgment in this situation. As the previous poster said, you will have to pay off the advance money to the bank and then sue the fiance to recover it.
Experienced as having been both a LL and Tenant, sharing my first-hand and borrowed knowledge to help those who who are new to the world of renting and "How Things Work"... Always something new to learn...

A mind is a terrible thing to waste... so you might as well play with it!

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

Find an Attorney

sandyclaus
View Public Profile
Send a private message to sandyclaus
Find all posts by sandyclaus

#5 Today, 03:37 AM
Free_Advice
Member Join Date: Jun 2011

I don't see anything wrong with what the girl did....you have to start treating your future wife as she is accustomed to be treated.

I await the future financial dealings of your lady when she becomes you wife.

Find an Attorney

Free_Advice
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Free_Advice

#6 Today, 10:10 AM
Hot Topic
Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2006

Quote:
California

Thanks in advance.

Your ex-financee was approved to use your credit cards. Why would the credit card companies assume that you approved her use but only under certain circumstances, as in, "She can charge x number of dollars, but she can't charge z number of dollars?"

Sue her. You have no legal recourse for "getting off the hook" because of your foolishness.

I don't answer private messages unless you're Hugh Jackman or Alex O'Loughlin.

Find an Attorney

Hot Topic
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Hot Topic

#7 Today, 02:31 PM
bambam323
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2010

I thought there might be some professional, legal advice here. But thanks for the opinions and judgment. It was a tremendous help.

I'm sure we've all had our credit card accounts temporarily frozen when fraudulent activity has been suspected. It usually takes a phone call to get it cleared up. I simply expected that a $12,000 cash advance might qualify as a red flag.

Find an Attorney

bambam323
View Public Profile
Find all posts by bambam323

#8 Today, 02:32 PM
Antigone*of*Greece
Senior Member Join Date: Dec 2007

Quote:
I thought there might be some professional, legal advice here. But thanks for the opinions and judgment. It was a tremendous help.

I'm sure we've all had our credit card accounts temporarily frozen when fraudulent activity has been suspected. It usually takes a phone call to get it cleared up. I simply expected that a $12,000 cash advance might qualify as a red flag.

Hello McFly Not by an authorized user especially one who has been authenticated by a teller.

JetX ~ 40812 ~ RIP

In the pursuit of happiness...

...if you ever want to be president, don't tweet your junk to an intern.

From Jimmy Kimmel Live

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">