• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GOT DETAINED BY POLICE...WAS FINED

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
california

hello everyone...last july i was detained ...and i say detained because they did let me go.....for selling illegal fireworks in california..inland empire...now i only got caught with 1 firework and they had a whole sting with like about 15 police officers ...too excessive i say and waste of resources but my opinion does not count here ...so i was detained given a ticket...and i do say that it was a ticket because it was yellow and with the police departments name on it...so when i look at the bottom of the tickets it says contact city hall ... so i get stopped by police and get a citation or ticket yet i have to contact city hall????...my question is why did i not get a chance to see a judge or a courtroom ???? i was detained like a criminal with all that extras...so i do that and i am getting fined around the ballpark of $3000 ...ive tried to contest the city fine 3 times now to no avail...last meeting took place with the city board members all voting on my issue...first and foremost are the city board members allowed to act as a judge???? my whole issue with the whole ordeal is the fine ....too excessive and all 3 attempts was just to lower the fine...is it time for a lawyer or can a lawyer do something for me ???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...because illegal fireworks (they are all illegal at this point in time) are a great idea in the Inland Empire, right?

I don't find such a sting to be excessive or a waste at all.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Perhaps you should study up on civics.

Each community has their own way of doing things, give or take. If the recourse you are afforded is that board, then so be it. You have not claimed to be innocent of selling fireworks, you just want to pay a lower fine. Here's the thing: a lawyer would be more than $3,000, and probably couldn't accomplish much. Maybe if you had *started* with a lawyer, but you've already made your first and second and third impression...

with all due respect you will rather them waste that manpower on me with one firework than catch say a drug dealer or any other type of crime ???? and thats why this country is so upside down ...so i get fined and released with a big fine and drug users and sellers get govt help after their ordeal.....makes me wonder whats with the system...you sir are making it seem like im the kingpin of fireworks...but at the end of the day thats your opinion...but thanks for the sarcastic answer... as a senior member i would think you will be more understanding and helpful but instead you use your account to not help at all and bash instead ...thank you for your help

@ nottocleverred

thanks for your response...so its perfectly legal for me not to see a judge when i was issued a citation by police released and at the end of the day its a city fine??? thats one key point in my issue ...i take responsibility for my actions but in my world i think almost $3000 in a fine is very excessive ...i never said i didnt want to pay anything i just wanted it reduced or work something out with the city...

pac72

well seeing how the laws seem to be enforced in California im not suprized at all, you broke the laws then complain about the fine,,, would you rather do say...30 days in jail instead ?? pay up sucker...

@pac72

honestly i have no problem at all doing the time...but i was not given a choice...see my issue is not the fine or anything that comes with it ...its the principal...you have drug users sellers felons etc running around being helped by the govt i make a mistake and get it worse than them...you are no help and all you do is bash like another member already did ...why waste your time on this board??? makes you feel better about others situation???what is your point being here if you dont help??? and if you have read my post i asked if a lawyer will do anything for me or is it time for a lawyer ???

Zigner

with all due respect you will rather them waste that manpower on me with one firework than catch say a drug dealer or any other type of crime ????
Oh please...
Do you realize how much damage a wildfire can do, including injuries, death, destruction of property, and wasting of valuable resources that could be better used elsewhere?

Not to mention that I'm sure other crimes are still being fought.

Zigner

@pac72

honestly i have no problem at all doing the time...but i was not given a choice...see my issue is not the fine or anything that comes with it ...its the principal...you have drug users sellers felons etc running around being helped by the govt i make a mistake and get it worse than them...you are no help and all you do is bash like another member already did ...why waste your time on this board??? makes you feel better about others situation???what is your point being here if you dont help??? and if you have read my post i asked if a lawyer will do anything for me or is it time for a lawyer ???
You know what - yeah...go pay an attorney. I think $3,000 is a bit light for you to get off, financially speaking.

pac72

funny thing..many years ago in Pittsburgh the city enacted a new law on fireworks.. a $10,000 fine.. well several days later the news was reporting the first case under the new law...a guy I know with a roman candle...and he did end up paying every cent to the city..

@ zigner

do you actually think in your right mind that having 15 police officers enforcing firework possessions at a time will leave other officers to enforce the whole city free of crime ..???? ...as i said before my whole issue is that ...they put so much resources and officers one one thing...how come they are not like that in all criminal fields or i should say in general...??? you call a police officer on a burglary they dont show up right away ....what does that tell you ??? either they dont care or are undermanned...but at the end of the day my whole point was what YOU just said...if i were to cause sooooo much destruction... chaos...wasting resources etc....why was i not given a chance to see a courtroom...??? and again ...$3000 a bit light ???? please you should work for the city near you they will love you...thanks again

Zigner

The Inland Empire is not a city.
Not that it matters. Pick ANY city in the Inland Empire and tell me...do you think that having those 15 police officers working on something that you feel is more important is going to actually keep the "whole city free of crime"?

Your argument is just as silly as the guy who tells the motor officer that he should be doing something more important than giving out tickets to speeders.

i understand that its not a city .....but anywho...all i did was come to this board and asked a legal question and all that happened was get bashed...but you have a great day and please just dont reply to this thread anymore as maybe there is someone out there that can actually help ..

Zigner

Much like the police, responding to your thread doesn't prevent us from being able to respond to other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">