• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got laid off and am already replaced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeonMoon

New Jersey
I just got laid off but the employer agreed to let me stay with the company until end of September for health insurance reasons and I have a procedure in mid September which the insurance has fully covered etc.

My replacement has been identified and she is already on board and I'm training her. She is working in another country where the labor costs/pay are much less and that is why I got laid off.

Is this legal?

Not only is it legal, but your soon-to-be former employer is being very nice to you. Make good use of this paid interview period.

NeonMoon

One odd thing is that I haven't received anything in writing from them. It was all done verbally. Is that odd?

One odd thing is that I haven't received anything in writing from them. It was all done verbally. Is that odd?
New Jersey is an employment-at-will state. Absent an employment contract that states otherwise, they can let you go at any time for any reason other than an illegal reason such as age, religion, sex, color, race or national origin. They can fire you today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">