• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got ticket(94 in 65) on PA turnpike and I live in MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RAV4MSN

What is the name of your state? MA

Hi,
2 days back I was caught speeding and officer told me, he got me at 94. He asked me what speed I was? I told him may be at 80(as it was a down hill).
It is my first ever speeding ticket in 4 years of driving history.

And the remarks he wrote were:
RL alone "80" 94 Locked, "Wet roadway Heavy Spray"

Before writing the ticket, he also collected toll ticket along with license and rental agreement. I didn't stop any where else after I entered the turnpike (I didn't look on toll ticket whether any time was printed there) that might have enabled for him to calculate the average speed and noted some other notes I don't know about it.

The township where he caught was 8 hrs drive from my place, it will be difficult for me to attend court in person. And I also have a doubt whether the ticket can be reduced any further than the 80( as myself have said I was on 80).

Can you please advise me on what my options are.
1) Should I plead guilty or Contest?
2)If I contest is it possible to take out the speeding ticket? or atleast can it be reduced to 80?

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks for any Info,
Rav

abezon

Sounds like he already reduced it to 80. there may also be a too fast for conditions coming along in the mail, since the roads were wet.

You can contact the court by mail & ask if you can do driving school & have the ticket dropped after a year or so without another ticket.

Slow down!

R

RAV4MSN

Hi ,
On the ticket, He clearly wrote in the Nature of Offense section:
Speeding 94 MPH, Allowed 65 MPH

But in the Remarks/Subpoena List: He wrote below comments
---------------------------------------------
Photo ID X57 300 1414
RL Alone "80" 94 LOCKED
Wet Roadway Heavy Spray
-------------------------------------------
And also the fine I was asked to pay was $189.50

And he also said because you are from MA you will not get any points (I belive there is no concept of points in MA), but definitely in some other way it will affect my insurance.

I am not sure what to do?, Should I hire an attorney and ask him to do some thing?

Any info is appreciated

Thanks,
Ravi

Bravo8

No traffic school option in Pennsylvania. Sorry.

If you choose to contest the citation, you have to attend the hearing in person. Failing to do so will result in being found guilty in abstentia. Points may or may not transfer to Mass, but a license suspension WILL. Lucky for you, you were only traveling 29 mph over the limit. 31 mph or above would have resulted in a license suspension.

If you appear, the citation can be reduced. You can discuss this with the Trooper prior to the hearing. The Judge also has the authority to reduce the speed.

There should be no further citations following. There is PA case law regarding multiple citations, and it may constitute double jeopardy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">