• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Government Apartments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My wife, child and myself live in low income apartments. My wife and I were discussing if we came into large amount of money chose to have a house built rather than rent or quickly purchase.

I know the apartment management would raise out rent some at first. I know by law we have 30 days to leave the apartment for any reason not of our choice.

But I what I want to know is, as long as I am paying rent, they should not be able to order us out based on income matters as long as we pay. I doubt they'd have a right to force us out based on my income increasing substantially. Although I would eventually leave upon my house completed.

Cvillecpm

They won't force you OUT and they will make you PAY market rent.

As your income increases, with each annual REcertification, they will make you pay more and more from your income

FarmerJ

Most housing assistance programs have a printed schedule of some sort that will tell a tenant at what point market rate rents apply. Your certainly free to ask about it so this way your able to plan for it should your income increase. Should you inherit / get a settlement / lump sum payment you also will need to learn ahead of time if this has any bearing on your eligibility since its not wages.

Cvillecpm

CASH windfalls do effect your ability to receive government housing assistance. You may be required to report it immediately AND once you provide the information and they will give you 60 to 90 days before they cease benefits or subsidy.

BL

Read your documents .

If you come into monies , it may disqualify you from living there any longer .

Yes ,usually 30 days they give you to vacate .

BTW ,what State ?

What are you paying now ? 30 % of income?

DeenaCA

Do you know what kind of low-income housing this is? If it's federally-administered under the public housing program or most of HUD's Multifamily programs, most lump sums are not counted as income. This includes inheritances, insurance settlements and SSI lump sums, among others. If the proceeds are placed in a bank or investment account, an interest rate is applied and the interest counts toward rent.

This is in the HUD regulations at 24 CFR 5.609(c). You can review the regulations online at Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:.

If the housing is administered under a state or other program, these rules don't apply. It's also true that the tenant rent will not generally exceed market value for the unit.

But I what I want to know is, as long as I am paying rent, they should not be able to order us out based on income matters as long as we pay. I doubt they'd have a right to force us out based on my income increasing substantially.
Probably true if it's federal housing.

enjay

Call me crazy, but if you come into enough money to build yourself a house, why should the government (i.e. us) substantially fund your living expenses for months when you have the ability to pay your own rent? There are plenty of people who are on waitlists who can't pay and could surely use the help you no longer need.

Alaska landlord

Call me crazy, but if you come into enough money to build yourself a house, why should the government (i.e. us) substantially fund your living expenses for months when you have the ability to pay your own rent? There are plenty of people who are on waitlists who can't pay and could surely use the help you no longer need.
In the old days, OP would have had to reimburse the tax payers for ALL of the benefits acquired at tax payers expense.

phase08

Hi Convoy71,
Question: If you came into a large amount of money (and I’m talking lottery-type money or huge inheritance) why on earth would you want to remain living there? I’m not putting down your current living situation – just curious.

btw I don't have any links right now, but I've seen stories where people have to pay back money to the govt. (for welfare monies/benefits received) after getting a windfall (money is deducted off the top). As far as the lottery, I do know they check for back child support, IRS debts, student loans, etc. A relative of mine won a few thousand last year, and they checked on those things (although she got the money the same day).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">