• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Government Check Deposits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RONALD639

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

ALL MY INCOME IS FROM RETIREMENT WITH THE GOVERNMENT AND SOCIAL SECURITY. I HAVE DIRECT DEPOSIT TO MY CHECKING ACCOUNT FOR THE ABOVE. THE MONEY IS DEPOSITED AT A CREDIT UNION THAT IS GOVERNED BY FEDERAL LAWS.

I KNOW THAT A COURT CANNOT GARNISH A FEDERAL CHECK.

BUT, CAN THESE DEPOSITS FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT BE GARNISHED?

IF YOU KNOW I SURE WOULD THANK YOU FOR AN ANSWER, ALSO, IF YOU KNOW THE SECTION OF THE LAW.

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.

racer72

First, turn off your caps key.

I KNOW THAT A COURT CANNOT GARNISH A FEDERAL CHECK.
Where did you hear this nonsense? The federal government issues hundreds of different kinds of checks and many of the payroll checks can be garnished. I have successfully garnished the paycheck of a member of the US Army while he was stationed in Japan. The income you receive from your retirement and social security are not exempt and can be garnished from your bank account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">