• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Government requesting personal info?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CathyRock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC

One of my husband's relatives works for the government. His position is sort of sensitive so I can't reveal it. Now my husband's family were asking for my SSN, DOB and other personal information to update this person's family file. Does this person have the right to request my personal info? I am only remotely related to him. Not that I have anything to hide but I don't like to give out my SSN unless it is necessary.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC

One of my husband's relatives works for the government. His position is sort of sensitive so I can't reveal it. Now my husband's family were asking for my SSN, DOB and other personal information to update this person's family file. Does this person have the right to request my personal info? I am only remotely related to him. Not that I have anything to hide but I don't like to give out my SSN unless it is necessary.
First, I would be talking directly to the relative to try to find out why he needs that kind of information from you, and about your concerns, and if he convinced me that it was really necessary, then I would ask for the name and contact info for the person he had to provide the information to, so that I could confirm it with them. I would bypass everybody else in your husband's extended family.

Proserpina

This unfortunately happens quite often. It is sometimes referred to as "PantsAreTooBigitis". It's a terrible condition in which the sufferer imagines himself to be a far greater and more important being than he actually is. A quick flash of a badge, an innuendo, and suddenly he thinks he's Captain Jack Harkness.

Frankly I'd simply smile sweetly, and encourage him to furnish you - and your attorney - with the appropriate documentation including the legal justification behind the request, and then you'd be delighted to consider said request.

To put it bluntly, if the Feds want your info they'll get your info and they won't need to resort to midnight meetings with occasional relatives in order to get it.

There is one scenario in which a potential employee is required to obtain bits of personal info about their (even distant) relatives, but that obviously isn't the case here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">