• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grades and transcripts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

they failed to calculate the grades
Yes. I understand that. And you said other students (who are not a minority) may have had errors appearing on their transcripts as well.

I can understand your frustration if your son's grades were miscalculated and corrections are not being made.

In what County do you reside?

efincherna11

No, they made a mistake (or several) in calculating the grades. You know...a clerical error.
Yeah I know but 3 or more errors Let me see if I can bring You on board. The report card has lets day 60 75 for both semester. Which averages out to lets just guess 75. Well any one who know the online grading system knows that mistakes cannot be made the computer takes the semester grades and transfers them over. The only way they can be wrong is if someone put them in manual and you cannot do that. The computer must transfer them over. That way every thing equals out. This is not a clerical error AS a parent i see the report card but the grades on the transcript are different from what I saw. I understand mistakes. But this is more like a cover up

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How does the existence of clerical errors violate "The School District shall require the administration of each school and sponsors of each activity to implement an aggressive campaign to ensure that each extracurricular activity, program, and organization has a racially diverse membership..."?

In other words, errors, in and of themselves, don't show there is a violation. What proof can you present that shows the errors were intentional acts to avoid having a racially diverse membership?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah I know but 3 or more errors Let me see if I can bring You on board. The report card has lets day 60 75 for both semester. Which averages out to lets just guess 75. Well any one who know the online grading system knows that mistakes cannot be made the computer takes the semester grades and transfers them over. The only way they can be wrong is if someone put them in manual and you cannot do that. The computer must transfer them over. That way every thing equals out. This is not a clerical error AS a parent i see the report card but the grades on the transcript are different from what I saw. I understand mistakes. But this is more like a cover up
You're right - incorrect computer programming has never been the source of an error.

efincherna11

How does the existence of clerical errors violate "The School District shall require the administration of each school and sponsors of each activity to implement an aggressive campaign to ensure that each extracurricular activity, program, and organization has a racially diverse membership..."?

In other words, errors, in and of themselves, don't show there is a violation. What proof can you present that shows the errors were intentional acts to avoid having a racially diverse membership?
A campaign was not done and their is no racially diverse membership The report card and the transcript grades dont match. Someone had to change the grades. The reports care are proof The grades were used to determine membership intentional leave minorites out

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The violation is the school did not show or conduct an agressive campaign That is in the order
What does your son's grades have to do with Extra and Co-curricula activities? Because that's where the Order references "aggressive campaign" (page 31, Section F.1.c). It reads "The School District shall require the administration of each school and sponsors of each activity to implement an aggressive campaign to ensure that each extracurricular activity, program and organization has a racially diverse membership;"

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
A campaign was not done and their is no racially diverse membership The report card and the transcript grades dont match. Someone had to change the grades. The reports care are proof The grades were used to determine membership intentional leave minorites out
What does a campaign have to do with his grades?

quincy

Thank you for the link. I read that previously and I have read those of other districts and the state.

I am not seeing the connection you apparently are making between what your son has experienced with his transcript and the consent decree, even with your further explanation.

You are probably at the point now where you need to sit down with a legal professional in your area for a personal review, this if you see errors on your son's transcripts and the school is not making necessary corrections, and you believe the errors were intentional and a violation of your son's civil rights.

Because your state has the history it does, I won't discount your concern. But I think you might have more than a little difficulty showing illegal discrimination, based on the information you are providing here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The violation is the school did not show or conduct an agressive campaign That is in the order
That is not a civil rights violation. Do you actually know what is meant by a civil right violation? It's more than just not being criminal.

quincy

There could be a civil rights violation but it is not clear from what has been said that there has been a civil rights violation.

The schools/school districts in Alabama need to ensure fairness for minority students, not only by having diverse student populations but in school course offerings, school activities, school organizations, and scholarships. That is one of the requirements in the consent decrees that came out of Lee v. Macon County. Many if not most of the schools in the State have been found to be in compliance.

efincherna is saying (I think) that the Beta Club membership is no longer racially diverse in efincherna's school because her son's grades were recorded incorrectly on the transcript, making him ineligible for membership (even though he was previously a member).

efincherna sees the errors on the transcript as an intentional act and a violation of the consent decree. I am afraid I see it as a data entry error.

But, efincherna knows her school district and the climate in her community and may see things not seen from this distance.

Because her concerns are not unreasonable ones - even if the concern was only that transcript errors were not being corrected - I think a personal review might be smart.

efincherna11

if it were as easy as a clerical error why want they correct it as I have asked I will tell you why it will put him in the honor society that why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">