• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grammatical error in DPOA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I am not sure what you mean by "practicing law without a license". In my case, a DPOA (my own) created by a lawyer was modified to have different agents for a different patient, and was signed in front of a notary and witnesses. Isn't that a legal document? Even if it was some MI template I got off Nolo, wouldn't still be legal if I read it, understood it, and signed it in front of a notary and witnesses?
A link to the unauthorized practice of law in Michigan:
https://www.michbar.org/professional/upl

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I guess I am still unclear what "practicing law" means. If she took my document, which was created by a lawyer, and changed names and other wording to her liking, is that legal? What if I helped her a little bit on the wording, but ultimately it is still a document she fully understands and makes it her own? Is that still legal?
The document would still be valid. But to the extent you gave her specific advise on changes to make to the template she used you were providing legal advise to her and thus practicing law without a license, an act for which the state can penalize you.

midad8

Thanks for everyone's input. I will make sure she does her own document prep/edits moving forward with no suggestions from me so that there is no question in the future.

quincy

Thanks for everyone's input. I will make sure she does her own document prep/edits moving forward with no suggestions from me so that there is no question in the future.
That would be smart.

It is nice to offer to help a friend in need but, with legal issues, it is best to leave the help to lawyers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">