• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandchild coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladytinny

What is the name of your state ? NY

I have a daughter who still lives at home and is a dependent, she is pregnant and I need to know if my health insurance would cover the birth and or baby after delivery or if there are any suggestions on how to get the baby coverage

ecmst12

It depends on how your plan defines a dependent, you will have to contact your HR department. Most commonly, if the grandchild will be living with you and you will be claiming him/her as a dependent on your taxes, he/she will be an eligible dependent. You will HAVE to enroll the baby within 30 days of birth, do not be late or you will have to wait until next open enrollment.

If for some reason the grandchild will NOT be an eligible dependent, I am sure that you can get CHIP coverage through the state; if mom is a minor and in school then her income is $0 and she will definitely qualify. If she's NOT a minor or a student, then she may have to pay some premium but it is based on income.

momm2500

birth

first you have to check your plan to see if it covers dependent pregnancies. some plans do not cover dependent child pregnancies. also if you want to cover the grandchild on your plan, go to your employer and advise them of such. some plans (and it depends on the one you have) might not let you cover the grandchild until you gain custody and have full financial custody of child (for tax purposes as well).

ecmst12

I'm fairly sure that the plan can't exclude maternity benefits for an otherwise covered dependent, whether it be a spouse or a child.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think it depends on whether it's group or individual coverage. Group coverage must include maternity but I'm not certain that individual coverage has that same requirement.

In any case, whether or not the grandchild can be covered depends on the definition of an eligible dependent on the specific policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">